UKC

Disciples of Gill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dear all,
I can't find any info on getting hold of a copy of "Disciples of Gill", a film about John Gill by Pat Ament in 2009. Does anyone have any ideas about where a copy can be found?

For anyone who hasn't got a copy of Master of Rock, here's a section from Wikipedia about Gill

In the Tetons, in 1958, John Gill climbed a short route on Baxter's Pinnacle that lies in the 5.10 realm, before that grade was formally recognized — one of the first to be done in America.[4] By the end of the 1950s, Gill had reached what would now be considered V9 or V10 levels on a few eliminate boulder problems, but claims he probably never progressed beyond that. Two of his problems in the Tetons — a V8 in 1957 and a V9 in 1959 — set new standards of bouldering difficulty, and his 1961 route on the Thimble[5] (Needles of South Dakota) — an unrehearsed and unroped 30-foot 5.12a free-solo climb (or V4 or V5 highball)— is considered one of the great classics of modern climbing, and — if considered a climb — may well be the first at the 5.12 grade.[4][6] Gill climbed the route without the benefit of modern climbing shoes, significantly increasing the difficulty of the climb.

So, Gill was putting up UK7a/Font7c+ in the 1950s, and ground-up ascents of E5 in 1961. Capable of a one finger, one arm from lever, he's considered the father of modern bouldering. Never did anything on grit though.
 slab_happy 01 Jan 2015
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

It used to be sold on Pat Ament's website, but that seems to have vanished. If you're okay with ordering it from the US:

http://www.chesslerbooks.com/item/11375-the-disciples-of-gill-dvd-a-climbin...
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Paul - I've got about a dozen copies that I go off Pat a few years ago. I will leave a copy at the Works for you. £8

Cheers
Graeme
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Brilliant, thanks Graeme
 Al Evans 02 Jan 2015
 slab_happy 02 Jan 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

If we're sharing the Gill love, he posted this on YouTube in 2013:

youtube.com/watch?v=whBH5YyY4P8&

It has some of Pat Ament's footage of him in the '70s, and then some film of him exercising, aged 76 -- he's still astonishingly strong.
In reply to slab_happy:

Cheers Al. Wow this is incredible for 76!
In reply to slab_happy:
Pat Ament is no slouch either, there's reference to him completing 175 consecutive finger edge pull-ups on Gill's website.
That footage of him in the 70s shows him climbing with a very 'modern' style, what a guy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...