UKC

Nuclear Map

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cú Chullain 03 Jan 2015
See the effects of dropping a nuclear device on your home.

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Morbidly fascinating

In reply to Cú Chullain:

yes, Alex Wellerstein must be an interesting dinner party guest!

'40 million detonations and counting'

the good news is, that a 15kt bomb dropped on Keighley would solve the traffic problems at a stroke, and i'd not only have a good view but also surprisingly would live to tell the tale....
 butteredfrog 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Cú Chullain:

A W76 surface burst would sort Blackburn out and leave me smiling, what's not to like?
 Reach>Talent 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Wow, that is handy information. Turns out I can nuke the Swindon outlet village in comparative safety!

Skipinder 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Cú Chullain:

It won't take much of an airburst over Edale to render the world's greatest winter route unclimbable for some time.
 Dauphin 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Skipinder:

I disagree. Permanent nuclear winter nick.

D
 Skipinder 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Dauphin:

But only after it's gotten rather warm!
In reply to Cú Chullain:

800kt air burst over Manchester seems to do the trick, all good in Froggatt, but a slightly longer drive to get to Llanberis till it cools down
 angry pirate 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Cú Chullain:
Years of commuting through Ormskirk has made me want to bomb it back to the stone age. Now I can
 gribble 04 Jan 2015
In reply to Cú Chullain:

300kt would solve the Doncaster problem rather tidily.
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I bet Guy Fawkes would have loved to have got his hands on a 'Davy Crockett' - though getting it to air burst might have proved tricky for him.
 d_b 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

I'm sure a ground burst would be sufficient.
In reply to davidbeynon:

Yeah - but IIRC from my time in the ROC a ground burst produces a lot more dirty fallout.
 d_b 05 Jan 2015

It does, but that would be just the thing to confuse future archaeologists.
 Phil79 05 Jan 2015

> I bet Guy Fawkes would have loved to have got his hands on a 'Davy Crockett' - though getting it to air burst might have proved tricky for him.

They were 'hand held' mortar type weapon to be fired by a couple of infantry men, deployed widely in Europe during the cold war with the aim of stopping a Soviet troop advance. Considering the range was about 2-4km, I would think they would be almost as lethal to the people firing them. Absolutely nuts.
 Graham Booth 05 Jan 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

15kt bomb in Keighley and would you notice the difference??
 Jim Fraser 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Phil79:

> They were 'hand held' mortar type weapon to be fired by a couple of infantry men, deployed widely in Europe during the cold war with the aim of stopping a Soviet troop advance. Considering the range was about 2-4km, I would think they would be almost as lethal to the people firing them. Absolutely nuts.

Not as daft as it sounds. Plenty time in the air to get under protection. Best used with the wind at your back I would have thought.

My personal favourite was the helicopter version of the WE177 nuclear bomb.

abseil 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Phil79:

> They were 'hand held' mortar type weapon... Absolutely nuts.

Talking about hand held, a nuclear hand grenade would be an interesting weapon.
 Skipinder 07 Jan 2015
In reply to abseil:
For night time HPS navigation purposes?
Post edited at 01:43
abseil 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Skipinder:

> For night time HPS navigation purposes?

Precisely - I was thinking that too as I posted - that would certainly light up Cwm Idwal, wouldn't it?!

OK that's enough black humour from me for today!
 Skipinder 07 Jan 2015
In reply to abseil:

It may be navigational overkill. I doubt Ray Mears would concur with the use of stand-off tactical nuclear location devices.
 Phil79 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Fraser:
> My personal favourite was the helicopter version of the WE177 nuclear bomb.

I'm assuming those were used as nuclear depth charges? Surely you couldn't drop a ground burst tactical nuke from a helicopter?!
Post edited at 09:10
 rogerwebb 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Fraser:

I'm a bit surprised about how much of Inverness would survive if you drop 'little boy' on my house, it doesn't even get the Castle, I will have to upgrade.
cb294 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Along the same vein

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/nuclear/nukergv.html

A microsecond by microsecond description of a nuclear explosion. Scary reading,

CB
 Skipinder 07 Jan 2015
In reply to cb294:

That was a very sobering read
abseil 08 Jan 2015
In reply to cb294:

Thanks for posting, indeed, a very sobering read. Much of the early part focuses on technical and physical aspects, and I'm glad it later details the effects on people. But the best part to me is the last 2 paragraphs in italics which describe the real possibilities of nuclear strikes and war today.

If you haven't seen it folks, the movie THE DAY AFTER is, I think, while old [24 years?] worth watching. It shows the utter devastation a strike would cause on the USA and is known to be quite realistic.
 Jim Fraser 08 Jan 2015
In reply to rogerwebb:

Why the Castle I wonder?!
 Jim Fraser 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Phil79:

> I'm assuming those were used as nuclear depth charges? Surely you couldn't drop a ground burst tactical nuke from a helicopter?!

Principally depth charge, yes.

Ground weapon? No problem. Delay fuse. Fly over the hedge tops, drop the weapon unseen and sneak back out before it blows.
 Skipinder 09 Jan 2015
In reply to abseil:

I watched that, and Threads one evening at work. Both made for rather gloomy viewing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...