UKC

Post workout drink/shakes recipes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 07 Jan 2015
I'm currently doing a pretty grueling workout regime alongside my climbing. I'm feeling the burn. In a lot of places

Does anyone use recovery/post workout shakes or drinks. I was thinking of protein .. And some coconut water?

At the moment I have a rather dignified cup of earl grey but I fear I might need something a little more nutritious
 The New NickB 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Kemics:

Milk and a bit of sugar, otherwise known as Chocolate Milkshake.
 Jon Stewart 07 Jan 2015
In reply to Kemics:

Fruit, yoghurt, milk, (unflavoured) whey protein.
 jezb1 07 Jan 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> Milk and a bit of sugar, otherwise known as Chocolate Milkshake.

This is what you need.
OP Kemics 08 Jan 2015
In reply to jezb1:

No supplements at all? Just choccy milk? Sounds great but doesn't seem very technical
 Kassius 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Kemics:

I used to be a body builder ideally you want whey protein asap after training. I used to have raw egg with mine in a shaker and then a balanced meal with macro nutrients of 60% protein 35% carbs and 5% fats but not trans fats. I used avocado
In reply to Kemics:

It is beneficial to get a post workout meal or shake with in approximately 30 mins of your workout.

I tend to think that whole foods are better thank a shake if you can manage it. Also no point having more than about 30ish grams of protein.

Perhaps consider pre workout nutrition, hydration and rest of you plan too.
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

> Also no point having more than about 30ish grams of protein.

This is frequently asserted but I've not found much compelling evidence. Where did you get it from?

knighty 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Kemics:

A glass of milk and a couple of spoons of peanut butter. Sorted.
 Kassius 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

It really refers to body mass as with the majority of vitamins and minerals the body can only absorb so much the big mutant body builders body's will adapt over time to utilise the protein they also have masses of bulk which requires more fuel. Ideally with being a climber you want the least mass and most strength with lean muscle and little body fat as its just extra weight to haul up. Whey protein is devolved to build lean muscle but it needs to be taken quickly after training so your body doesn't start feasting on itself. Take a shaker with 3 scoops in your kit bag and fill it with water at the end of your session for the journey home. Your body will have chance to digest it and then crack on with a nice piece of fish or chicken whole grain rice and mashed avocado when you get home
In reply to Sempafi:

Thanks for that. But what is the source of the "no more than 30g of protein at once" claim? For example, this seems to contradict it, and wasn't involving mutant bodybuilders: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10867039
 Indy 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Kemics:

Whizz a banana in milk with an egg and some vanilla extract.
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

The study sited is interesting and is sighted commonly, although it depends on your situation compared with those who took part in the study.

This is an interesting study suggesting that (for muscle building aspect only!) that 20g is the maximum absorbed. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/1/161

However, for you're average trainee then yo're looking at around 120g of perotein per day, and assuming eating around 3-4 times a day then it's 30g. Higher protein diets will leave you feeling fuller and displace the absorption of other macros so may be beneficial.

It all depends on your goals, if you're trying to build muscle then a higher protein amount may be required. It will depend how many calories you need to consume, how many times a day you want to eat and the type of training you are doing. Endurance based training requires a lower amount of protein (circa 90-100g). What is your gut uptake like. Are you taking a whole source of protein, or BCAAs, etc etc.

It's all up to you really, I wasn't trying to be too prescriptive - see what works for you. All in all it's a complex chain of systems, and many factors will play a role, so I think it's difficult to pin point a specific value. Interesting subject though for sure!
cb294 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Kemics:

Protein??
Raw steak smoothie!!!

CB

PS: Not really......
In reply to Kemics:

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

I always have one of these. The price is most excellent

M
 Hat Dude 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Fredt:

> Milk

Oh no, you've got to go for something more "technical"

I have chocolate Nesquik (don't like milk)
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

Thanks. That's an interesting paper.
OP Kemics 09 Jan 2015
Okay so I've gone for chocolate milk, very delicious, but how much? I had 3/4 of a pint but only because it was tasty.

I'm about to make a shake, I've gone for :

Peanut butter
Flax seed
Whey protein
Coconut water.

I shall report my findings!
OP Kemics 09 Jan 2015
Also added Greek yogurt and honey

Didn't taste too bad. The coconut water made it rank, so more yoghurt and regular water, no coconut water
 nastyned 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Kemics:

I prefer a mix of water, malted barley, hops and yeast
 mark s 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Kemics:

i lift weights heavy 5 times a week

i dont take protein shakes,waste of time and money
 Jon Stewart 09 Jan 2015
In reply to mark s:

> i lift weights heavy 5 times a week

> i dont take protein shakes,waste of time and money

Interesting. I use them cause of cheapness and ease of getting down neck (e.g. 5 min break at work, about to faint with hunger). Seem to make me feel less like passing out from hunger when I can't get any actual food, works well e.g. before driving home from wall/crag.
 Kassius 10 Jan 2015
In reply to Kemics:
http://www.m10fitness.co.uk/trainers/mark-coles

Have a look at this guy's website very clued up on all things training
In reply to Sempafi:

> Have a look at this guy's website very clued up on all things training

I had a quick look. This article http://www.m10fitness.co.uk/articles/fat-loss/secret-to-lean-legs had no references to proper science, yet makes some "interesting" claims. Maybe he knows his stuff but it is in danger of looking like yet more bro science.
 Ridge 10 Jan 2015
In reply to MGC:

> I always have one of these. The price is most excellent

> M

That seems a reasonable price. Flavoured or unflavoured?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...