UKC

Superfeet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm getting heal lift in my winter B3 boots (Scarpa Mont Blancs). I've tried different lacing to lock my heal in place but I'm still getting blisters.

Chap at V12outdoors mentioned using superfeet greens. Anybody got any experience with them?

edunn 09 Jan 2015
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

Yes, not for heel lift specifically, but have them in my Nepal Evos to take out some of the 'spare room' and to provide an extra bit of arch support. They are thicker than the standard inner soles and seem to be the go-to brand for that sort of thing. No issues so far, I would recommend them.
 climbwhenready 09 Jan 2015

I was getting heel lift in some approach shoes and put the blues into them. They seemed to solve the issue.
 Neil Williams 09 Jan 2015

Given that boots tend already to be shaped, you may find that green Superfeet give too much lift and cause you to get blisters in the arch. Blue fit me better due to the lower arch, but be warned - they knacker the Gore-Tex lining in some boots - Superfeet advise you not to use them in boots.

Neil
 itsThere 09 Jan 2015
Green, blue, black and the others are for how much support your foot needs, just buying green because they have the most aggressive arch may make more problems and not solve heel lift. Use whichever fits best.

Try some cheap insoles to reduce the volume first they may fit better since superfeet have a plastic support for the heal which won't mold to your boot.

Is this on both feet?
Post edited at 16:53
In reply to Neil Williams:
The website claims you can use the greens, but they take no responsibility if the greens rub the lining away.

I've also been recommended a liner sock under my wool socks. My feet do get damn hot and sweaty which may be the cause of the blisters. Although I definitely get heel lift, but I get that in most pairs of shoes - indicating something wrong with my foot but I have no idea what!?
Post edited at 16:58
In reply to itsThere:

Yeah I have them just on the Achilles. The other option of course is that the boot doesn't really fit, which would be annoying.

Jim C 09 Jan 2015
Yep, I was a skeptic for years, but eventually inverted in a pair, and from day one of using, the time it took for my feet to be painful on long walks, was markedly extended. ( pain disappeared on shorter walks that I used to get the odd niggle on) I just swap them between the various season boots I have.

(Edit, there is a possibility that the linings could be damaged by ill fitting SuperfeetI guess, but I could not say for certain)
Post edited at 16:58
 More-On 09 Jan 2015

How is the volume at the front of the boot? If it's too much then try volume adjusters for the whole foot. If they fit at the front and you are 'just' getting heel lift then try some Anatom Heel Lifts. I use the heel lifts as I have broad feet but low volume ankles. They stop any lift without squashing my forefoot. HTH...
 itsThere 09 Jan 2015

Try these, most shops should have them. It's worth spending at least an hour trying out the different solutions back to back. Superfeet also have an awesome returns policy as they take more than the time to try them on to bed in.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/anatom-heel-lifts-3E310009?loc=sub
In reply to More-On:

The volume of the boot in general is probably a little high. Might try a general volume reducer and the sock liner initially.

More-On 09 Jan 2015

Sounds a plan - keep playing around and I'm sure you'll get there.
 nniff 09 Jan 2015

The plus is that volume adjusters are only a fiver. Better to start slowly. THey fixed the problem for me BTW
m0unt41n 09 Jan 2015

I have very wide feet so I need boots at least 2 sizes too big. Also fairly narrow heels.
I was having no end of blisters and numb toes until I tried Green Superfeet - this is starting to sound like a script for an advert.
Anyhow no problems since then. I have to do the boots up very loose at front but as tight as possible at top around ankles so that both sides completely cover the tongue. Whilst they still feel loose and my heel lifts a bit I have never had a blister since and that's 8 years ago. This is with Scarpa SLs I never use double socks, just thick Smartwool trekking or mountaineering ones.
 Nathan Adam 09 Jan 2015

I'm going to say something completely opposite from the other posts.

I invested in a pair of Green Superfeet as they seemed the best option for my feet. They haven't helped me at all, I still get really bad foot pain after each day I do in my B3's. I have really skinny heels, super high arches and the front of my foot is really wide. The balls of my feet are really pronounced (where I get the majority of pain), really struggling to get any kind of comfort on the down hill at all.

Can someone give me any ideas on how I can try and sort this problem? Have just went from Nepal Evos (kinda narrow) to Phantom Guides (better width fitting and generally more comfortable, but still causing pain).
In reply to Nath93:

Thanks for the all the comments, once I get chance to test out the new setup I'l post and let people know how it goes - for future reference.

Nath - have you been to see a foot doctor/podiatrist? They might be able to help identify the issue. Also consider any medication you're taking or dietary changes which can have an effect (drinking large amounts of caffeine can have an impact on ligaments). These are just the ideas I have read while trying to see the route cause of heel lift.

butteredfrog 12 Jan 2015

You can also reshape the boot to fit your heels, (might be worth getting a ski boot fitter to do this)

Place boot in large plastic bag.
Place heel of boot (in bag) in a pan of water
Warm on stove to the point where the PU heel cup starts to soften
Remove from pan, stick foot in boot and pinch the heel cup to reshape
Hold till cool.

Disclaimer: get it too hot and the boot falls in bits (not good if it's a customers)
 TAG_UTLEY 12 Jan 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

2nd the remark on the green being too high in the arch and giving blisters. Took my new salewa boots out with a set, and it was agony by the end of the day, thank fully no blisters, but just too much pressure pushing up on the arch. Took them out and went back to the originals and no problems whatsoever. I'm going to try a volume reducer next, just to see if they can make things a little more snug but otherwise happy.
 Neil Williams 12 Jan 2015
In reply to TAG_UTLEY:
They really do need to try to find a workable design for the lower blue ones without the sharp fins that cut Gore-Tex linings (I can confirm that this does happen, by the way).

Neil
Post edited at 14:31
> I've also been recommended a liner sock under my wool socks. My feet do get damn hot and sweaty which may be the cause of the blisters. Although I definitely get heel lift, but I get that in most pairs of shoes - indicating something wrong with my foot but I have no idea what!?

Once you sort out the footbed, if you "always" get heel lift and this gives blisters, you may want to try out Engo blister prevention patches. http://www.goengo.co.uk Used them for years and never had a blister since I've used them. They last many months if your careful when putting on your boots. Allowed me to stop using a liner also which helps reduce heat build up.

Also do you use say Bodyglide? Reduces friction considerably if that is the main problem. http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=604188&v=1#x7941576 .

BTW never got on with super feet greens in any footwear except ski boots.
 Only a hill 12 Jan 2015

I have Superfeet Blues, and I've been using them since 2010. Probably the best outdoor gear purchase I've ever made.
 colinakmc 12 Jan 2015
+1 for super feet, they've been a big help in reducing foot pain and(as someone else said) extending my pain free range. But they might not make badly fitting boots fit well....
 Neil Williams 12 Jan 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

The blue ones are perfect for me, and I have them in my trainers, smart shoes and running shoes. But the warning on the box that they can damage the Gore-tex lining of some hiking boots is true - I tried them and mine do now leak around the sole. So be warned, using them in hiking boots, despite them being wonderfully comfortable, can be an expensive mistake.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...