UKC

First pair of 'proper' boots: scrambling/walking/snow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 noteviljoe 10 Jan 2015

So I got a bit of cash for Xmas and birthday and thinking about replacing the old bendy cheap decathlon boots that I currently use for walking and scrambling (to give them their dues they are still waterproof I had fun enough using them even for stuff like via Farreta in Dolomites)

Was considering pushing the boat out and getting something expensive but that will hopefully last me a few years. Have half an idea to try to get into some winter stuff so was also thinking of getting basic crampons. Main use will prob be scrambling in Peaks and Lakes and maybe some easy (I. E. Mod/diff) trad routes.

My thoughts then are b1 boots and the cheapest c1 crampons I can find something like this http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/north-ridge-snowline-crampon-p193163

The boots need to serve as general walking boots as well as no money for second pair atm (though guess I could prob buy new cheap ones next summer)

Any helpful tips appreciated.

What I have read so far suggests the most important thing is fit so I am planning to go try a bunch more when I have time.

I live in Manchester and have so far tried Cotswold Outdoor (best selection of boots, ok-ish advice) , Go Outdoors (some boots, firstly terrible advice then ok when came back to see different staff member) and Brigham Elis (No b1 boots, but some ok advice).

I have quite wide feet and the best fit so far seemed to be a pair of Hanwag Alaska GTX (size 10) - this doesn't seem like a very popular brand for climbers? Tried some different Scapas - bit tight on toes.

In general disappointed with level of expertise of shop staff - its a big spend for me so would like to feel getting good advice. Any tips on other good shops with staff who aren't just mainly selling stuff to urban 4x4 look good types? to try in or near Manchester?
Post edited at 21:55
OP noteviljoe 10 Jan 2015
In reply to wattie1992:

size 10
 Hyphin 11 Jan 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

Don't write off the scarpas too quick, when I tried them in shops they always felt too tight across the toes: then used a pair for a couple of days on a course now love my mantas. And if you're skint keep an eye here and ebay, got mine unused for well less than half price.
 sheelba 11 Jan 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

If you want good advice go to Alpenstock in stockport. They will happily spend hours talking you through it and know their stuff. However they only stocked scarpa last time I was there and aren't the cheapest around.
 wbo 11 Jan 2015
In reply to noteviljoe: personally idle looking at b2 boots as well, and not be looking at all leather uppers as i don't like the weight. Try on Scarpa Mantas , charmoz or sportiva trange S. But as you say it needs to fit
OP noteviljoe 11 Jan 2015
In reply to wbo:
Thanks for replys.

I'm a bit wary of buying boots off t'internet as all the advice seems to be that trying on is really important.

I will check out Alpenstock in Stockport.

Have to go to Sheffield on Wednesday so also possibility of shops out in the Peaks (or indeed in Sheffield) if anyone knows anywhere worth driving for?

So I guess b2 boots would offer the opportunity for more technical crampons that open up possibility of harder winter stuff in future but wouldn't they be far more uncomfortable for general walking?
Post edited at 21:42
 Ramblin dave 11 Jan 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

> Have to go to Sheffield on Wednesday so also possibility of shops out in the Peaks if anyone knows anywhere worth driving for?

Hitch and Hike in Bamford (it's basically a shed at the back of a garden centre, but it's absolutely great) and Outside in Hathersage are both worth a shot, and probably not far out of your way.

> So I guess b2 boots would offer the opportunity for more technical crampons that open up possibility of harder winter stuff in future but wouldn't they be far more uncomfortable for general walking?

I've got Scarpa SLs (B1) and Mantas (B2). The Mantas feel a bit more solid in crampons on any sort of steep ground - as in, I was happy doing any non-technical winter stuff in the SLs before I got the Mantas, but these days I'll normally choose the Mantas for any properly wintery day out. On the other hand, they're definitely a bit clumpy for long days path bashing.
OP noteviljoe 12 Jan 2015
Okay so now I'm even more confused,

i) I was thinking a full leather, ii) I was thinking b2 would be overkill and iii) I was thinking Italian boots where made on the narrowest last so I should go for German for a wide 'toe' box.

Against all of this I tried on some La Sportive TRANGO S EVO's in Ellis Bringham today and they seemed to fit really well!

Anyone got any opinions on them?
 Thrudge 13 Jan 2015
In reply to sheelba:
> If you want good advice go to Alpenstock in stockport. They will happily spend hours talking you through it and know their stuff. However they only stocked scarpa last time I was there and aren't the cheapest around.

+1 on all points.
OP noteviljoe 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Went to Alpenstock today and, as predicted, got really good service. I'd recommend them to everyone. (also a welcome and friendly talking to about making sure I new what I'm doing before heading out into new for me winter conditions).

Unfortunately the prediction was also right that they only had Scarpa but the sales guy did point out that using an extra supportive inner sole might make the fit better - I was sceptical, how could support make the toe box bigger? But surprisingly it turned out to work. The guys explanation was that it changes the shape of your foot so it spreads less.

Think I might go back to Ellis Bringham again tommow to try the La Sportive trango S's again. (maybe the extra support is why they fitted better even though they are supposed to be narrower?)

Going to try to make myself decide soon before I get paralysed with indecision.

Hoping to go look for an easy snowy ridge walk (or something like that) On the 31st - any recommendations.? Lakes or Snowdonia? (Scotland =too far)
 John Kelly 22 Jan 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

La Sportive TRANGO S EVO's - excellent boots, team with approach shoe's and wellies, your covered year round
 Bluebird 22 Jan 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

Take a look at Haglofs Grym. A great B1 boot though not good for scrambling/wet rock. Excellent at everything else and the Hahlofs heat moulded inner sole is excellent.
 ciaran1999 22 Jan 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:
Hi noteviljoe,

Few things I would say relating to this. Probably most important is your foot unstable (i.e. does it change in shape or size dramatically?) as you said at Alpenstock you were recommended stabilising insoles? You should have had measurements taken in the various shops you have visited and these would indicate whether or not you need to stabilse your feet. (As a general more than 3/4 to a full size of difference between unweighted and weighted measurements can indicate a need to stabilise the foot, normally with an orthotic which is either custom made or mass produced.) With this out of the way from now on you should try on all boots with whatever insoles you have decided you needed.

With regards to your choice of boots I first off wouldn't forget about Hanwag just because they are not popular in the UK. They've been making solid boots for about a hundred years and the Alaska's are tough, reliable and surprisingly light. In this this category of bombproof, heavyish boots you should also look at the Scarpa SL, maybe with a volume reducer fitted as it is a little roomier than the S evos you seem to be having success with.

Durability and warmth apart the La Sportiva are likely to be much more comfortable out of the box, lighter, more percise for scrambling, and a better all-rounder. They are just stiff enough to be paired up with some Grivel Air tech crampons which will save you having to buy new crampons in the likely event of you needing B2 boots in the future, and are a generally good choice for the purposes you've said.

I should add I work in the Cotswolds you went to and it doesn't sound like you had the experience I would have wanted or expected you to have. If you do need anything else relating to winter walking or climbing you're probably better to ask for someone experienced in the area, there are plenty of us but it sounds like you probably got picked up by a newer staff member, many apologies for that.

Hope this all helps and good luck with the boots!
Ciaran
Post edited at 14:21
OP noteviljoe 22 Jan 2015
In reply to ciaran1999:

Thanks that's helpful Ciaran. So far no one in any of the shops has actually measured my feet they have just asked me my size. (Alpenstock did get me to place my foot on to the taken out insole).

Looking at my feet now, they don't seem to change size lengthwise when weighted just fatten out a bit in width. Maybe I don't need stabilisers. Hmmm. Confused.
 thedatastream 22 Jan 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

If you need a proper boot fitting then head over the Pennines to Mountain Feet in Marsden - http://www.mountainfeet.co.uk/ (the train goes from Manchester to Marsden on a regular basis). We've used them a couple of times and their fitting skills and service are excellent.

As an aside, I have a wide foot and have been most impressed by Salewa boots being a comfortable fit.

ciaran1999 22 Jan 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

> Looking at my feet now, they don't seem to change size lengthwise when weighted just fatten out a bit in width. Maybe I don't need stabilisers. Hmmm. Confused.

No worries at all. It is difficult to say without looking at and measuring your feet, but unless there is no gap under your arch when stood up (flat footed), and you get no knee or hip pain, it is unlikely that you need stabilizing insoles.

This is not to say that these insoles are not generally very good quality, and they may be useful in obtaining the optimum fit for you in a pair of boots. For some people they are entirely necessary but you would probably have noticed if you were having major issues.

I don't know it is against site rules to say but pop in and see myself, Dave or either Andy and you'll get the boot fitting you should have got at the start. About 4pm is best for boot-fitting at any shop you go to as its generally quiet but not about to close and your feet should have stretched and expanded a bit as you've been walking on them for a few hours.

Cheers,
Ciaran
 Pbob 22 Jan 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

I've got wide feet too and struggled to get a good fit. Eventually I found altberg and haven't looked back. You've got a good chance of getting a really good fit. They aren't cheap but you get a really nice boot for your cash. Having said that I found them cheaper than the comparible Scarpa. Give them a call at their shop in Richmond. They are really helpful. They only do one crampon compatible boot. They aren't massively stiff but then if you want to use them year round you might not want them too stiff anyhow.
OP noteviljoe 23 Jan 2015
Thanks everyone for all the useful advice.

Knowing that if I thought about it any harder I'd end up buying nothing ever, paralysed with indecision, I bit the bullet and took advantage of my toddler son falling asleep at right moment whilst we where in town to pop into Ellis Bringham and buy some stuff.

In the end I plumped for:

* la sportive trango evos - with superfeet insoles added as deal sweetener
* Grivel G12 crampons
* Black Diamond Raven ice axe.

All I need now is somehow to conjure up some free time to use it all.

Have got a night plus one day away next Friday/Saturday with a friend at same intro-ish level as me, but we'll also have a 3rd with no crampons so thinking easy snow plod just to have a practice walking - he suggests going to top of Moel Siabod. (we have some winter navigation experience so nobody panic).

Any other suggestions?

(p.s. I know winter skills guided day would be advisable but I've blown all my cash now)
 joeruckus 24 Jan 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

Hey, congratulations on making a purchase!

You could take a look at this list of Snowdonia Easy Winter Routes
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=985
and you could cross-reference with this resource to see which winter routes have been ticked recently (which is a fallible proxy for 'in condition' I guess):
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/winter.html
For example, a recent comment on Moel Siabod (19th Jan) says
"Had crampons in my sack but didn't use them
Trevers - Solo - 19/Jan/15"

Have fun!
J
In reply to noteviljoe:

Good choice on the trango's.

Once mine were broken in they are so comfortable I use them for long summer days now so don't worry about them being overkill.

OP noteviljoe 07 Feb 2015
Removed User 07 Feb 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

It never ends man. Never.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...