UKC

Anyone been on the Ben recently? Much ice in te gullies?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris smith 12 Jan 2015
Has anyone been up on the Ben recently? I know that the buttress have been stripped but anyone been in the gullies?
Thanks
 DaveHK 12 Jan 2015
In reply to chris smith:

When are you going? It's forecast to chuck it down with snow for most of this week.
 Mike Hewitt 12 Jan 2015
In reply to chris smith:

I might be dragging a semi-alcoholic dickhead from Harrogate up a couple of grade I/II climbs next weekend, would it be worth my while heading to the glorious Ben, given that this fat bastard will moan his way through what is bound to be a minimum 2 hour walk in?
 Drexciyan 12 Jan 2015

> I might be dragging a semi-alcoholic dickhead from Harrogate up a couple of grade I/II climbs next weekend, would it be worth my while heading to the glorious Ben, given that this fat bastard will moan his way through what is bound to be a minimum 2 hour walk in?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but best of luck!
 alasdair19 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Mike Hewitt:

no it'd be daft. apart from anything else it'll go from bare rocks from the cic to bottomless powder on boulders 8th? ! to snowmageddon at 900m
 alasdair19 13 Jan 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

sorry for typo the snowline was about 800m last weekI'd not seen observatory gully so empty for a while.
 GirlieEyes 14 Jan 2015
In reply to chris smith:

Been up here all week. Ice in great condition up high, loads of fresh snow. Big avalanche risk, number 5 gully avalanched only a couple of days ago. Wild weather!!! Stay clear of the gullies!!
When the weather calms down......
 nigel n 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Mike Hewitt:

History would suggest that a good proportion of new winter routes in Scotland were done by semi alcoholic dickheads....
 Robert Durran 14 Jan 2015
In reply to nigel n:

> History would suggest that a good proportion of new winter routes in Scotland were done by semi alcoholic dickheads....

I doubt many of them were from Harrogate though.

Billhook 14 Jan 2015
In reply to chris smith:

Do post up on here if you survive an avalanche.
 paulh.0776 16 Jan 2015
In reply to chris smith:
Not the Ben but was on Aonach Mor West Face (western rib) with Ken Applegate on Tues and it was in great nick, lots to play with round there. Glen Coe looked (from the road) to have plenty when I drove through on Mon, and with the extra snow of this week it'll have even more, although the gullies might be have some avalanche problems till it settles down

a few from Tues pics at

http://paulhorsmanphotographer.blogspot.co.uk
Post edited at 10:14
 Jim Haydock 17 Jan 2015
In reply to paulh.0776:
Hi Paul.
Just out of interest but did you walk in to the west face or did you take the gondola to the top station and traverse in from there ?
I can never work out the easiest way into the west side 😞
JH.
 Jamie B 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Haydock:

Gondola approach every time, plus efficient climbing to avoid the "walk of shame" down the bike track!
 KA 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Jim Haydock:

Hi, we took the gondola to the top station. It's definitely the easiest option, as with very little effort, you'll be at 460m, alongside the Allt Daim. http://www.applemountaineering.co.uk/2015/01/13/proper-scottish-day-western...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...