UKC

Lancashire Grit Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 franhammond92 14 Jan 2015
Going to be in Bolton this weekend and am wondering if it will be worth going to Denham on Sunday given the forecast for snow on Saturday. Any advice on which crags (if any) will be most likely to be dry would be grand. Preferably looking to do trad if possible.

Cheers.
Fran
 Mark Collins 14 Jan 2015
In reply to franhammond92:

Inside of the prow at Wilton 1 is probably your best bet I would have thought, as it faces south west and there is certainly a lot less scope for run off than most other places I can think of. Another option is Brownstones which is again south west facing but bouldering only, with plenty of scope for seepage. You might be ok at Denham, but I certainly wouldn't get up early if you go there as it has a general north westerly aspect. We don't tend to get much snow around here, slight sprinkling over night for instance, but general seepage from damp can often be a problem in winter.
J1234 14 Jan 2015

Possibly Troy quarry, does not really suffer with seepage nor sandy run off, catches the sun certainly in the afternoon. I could imagine Denham and a lot of other quarries being very sandy with all the rain we have. Another place that might be worth looking into is Cadshaw but maybe not.
 Bulls Crack 14 Jan 2015

Heptonstall Quarry is sheltered - but a bit further away in Yorkshire. Not exactly sure of the conditions at the moment but if you want I can find out day before/on the day!
 robin mueller 14 Jan 2015
Yeah, as Mark said that area doesn't get much snow. Bolton often gets snow when other areas just get rain. If you are interested in Denham, then look at the Chorley forecast.

This Garstang webcam might give you an idea of what it's like on Saturday.
http://www.garstang.net/webcams.php

There are also some more webcams on the links page of the lancashire bouldering guidebook website:
http://www.lancashirebouldering.com/links/
Post edited at 14:00

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...