UKC

Toothache remedies?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trevers 14 Jan 2015
My filling is sitting on the nerve in there

makeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoawaymakeitgoaway

:'(
 Mikkel 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Dentists works most of the time.
 gethin_allen 14 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Cloves can be used as a local anaesthetic. Most tooth ache is a result of an infection apparently (disclaimer. I'm not a dentist) so good strong mouthwash could help.
 Rob Exile Ward 14 Jan 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:
If it's an abscess cold drinks can help. Lager is my cold drink of choice, you get 2 benefits for the price of one.
 Oldsign 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

A liberal frottaging of cocaine on the effected area.

I worked with a french chap who used this technique. He was an absolute stroppy fecking nightmare rantfest until the dentist fixed him but he said it definitely dulled the pain.
 Pete Houghton 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

A hot whiskey with seven cloves studding the slice of lemon, instead of the usual five.
JMGLondon 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Bit late now I suspect but Paramol is ace for the pain before you can get to a dentist. Available at Boots.
OP Trevers 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Pete Houghton:

> A hot whiskey with seven cloves studding the slice of lemon, instead of the usual five.

Ooh, that sounds delicious!
mick taylor 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

2 ibuprofen Plus with 2 paracetomal (taken together) as often as it allows (or a bit more). I've had a nightmare this last month or so - got the fecker pulled when on holiday celebrating Hogmany in Scotland.
 krikoman 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Pete Houghton:

> A hot whiskey with seven cloves studding the slice of lemon, instead of the usual five.

2 partridge wings and a lizard liver, warmed to 32.7 degrees C to be taken anally.

You forget all about your toothache.
 goose299 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Pliers and whiskey
 Thrudge 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Get some oil of cloves (any chemists) and rub it on the gum. Tastes pretty bad, but it will dull the pain quite a bit. Needs reapplying every few hours.
 spudlet70 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

hammer.....
 gd303uk 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Tony Naylor:

> Get some oil of cloves (any chemists) and rub it on the gum.

"Is it safe"?

youtube.com/watch?v=kzw1_2b-I7A&

Oil of cloves really does work, from my own experience . I put a few drops on a cotton bud and bite it or rub it on the gums.
 Heike 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

The dentist is the only way in the end. Cocodamol in the meantime but no more than three days as it
is addictive
 blurty 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Dentist.

(One of my most vivid experiences so far was contrast between the pain of the dentist drilling down through the filling into the abscess, and the almost orgasmic relief as the drill was withdrawn and the puss spurted.)
 DerwentDiluted 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Just had 14 days of pain hoping it would goawaygoawaygoaway.

It doesn't.
Until you see a dentist.

I just learned this the really hard way so that you might not have to!
OP Trevers 15 Jan 2015
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Just had 14 days of pain hoping it would goawaygoawaygoaway.

> It doesn't.
> Until you see a dentist.

> I just learned this the really hard way so that you might not have to!

Mine does go away. I've got a really deep filling on one of my teeth at the back, and it's very close to the nerve. Every so often I get bouts of pain for a couple of days where it's pressing into the nerve, but then I go for months at a time without feeling a thing. So the pain isn't alerting me to anything wrong, it's just pain for the sake of it. I can get a root canal but if I can deal with the occasional bouts of pain I don't really need to.

:'(
 marsbar 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Extra strength sensitive toothpaste apply with a finger and leave it on. + painkillers.
 Dave Garnett 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

> Mine does go away. I've got a really deep filling on one of my teeth at the back, and it's very close to the nerve. Every so often I get bouts of pain for a couple of days where it's pressing into the nerve, but then I go for months at a time without feeling a thing. So the pain isn't alerting me to anything wrong, it's just pain for the sake of it.

It's not your 'filling pressing into the nerve', it's pulpitis. Right now it's reversible pulpitis but one of these times it won't resolve and if you're lucky the tooth will just die. Then again it might blow up into an agonising periapical abscess (if you think the pain has been bad up to now you are in for a surprise) or perhaps just lead to months of chronic inflammation.

> I can get a root canal but if I can deal with the occasional bouts of pain I don't really need to.

Or you could talk to a dentist, who may have other options. Make sure you have his number ready anyway, because you'll be needing it in a hurry at some point.

Run_Ross_Run 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Trevers:

If it's stopping you from sleeping put ur toothbrush on the bedside cabinet and when the pain gets too bad rub the tooth with the brush, just like cleaning but without the toothpaste, and the pain should go away for long enough to get back to sleep.

Did for me anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...