UKC

Crib Lem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 15 Jan 2015

Some one had logged a semi wintery ascent of Crib Lem on Llech Dhu yesterday, and thinking of a quick solo visit to North Wales soon, it caught my eye. I've read the description in my new winter guide, but from the description there it's not totally clear where it is and how you access the ridge - the guide seems to think people will have been there in summer but I haven't and I don't have a summer scrambles guide! So is the normal approach from Ogwen northwards? Or do people park as they would for Black Ladders and walk in from the west?

Do people like it? Is it as good as a snowy Bristly Ridge for example?

Cheers all.
Post edited at 08:53
 Mike Peacock 15 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

The usual approach is from Bethesda/Gerlan (not much parking in Gerlan, and there have been issues with walkers/climbers parking inconsiderately and annoying locals).

Here's a photo, but I'm sure others have better:
http://tinyurl.com/q4o2752
From the base of Llech Ddu (the big black crag) you ascend diagonally right up the snowy slope, then traverse back left along the vague ledge to reach the base of the ridge above Llech Ddu.

It's a fine, airy ridge, though I've never done it in winter. Not as difficult as Bristly Ridge in summer, though it's much quieter.
 d_b 15 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Crib Lem starts at the top of the Llech Dhu face.

Getting to it is easy. Park in Bethesda. Follow the path along Avon Llafar until you get to some large boulders below the crag of Llech Dhu .

Head up the valley to the right of the crag. I think there's a faint path, but it aint much. When you are almost level with the top of the crag there's a traversing path that takes you back left onto the rifge at the top of llech dhu. Look for some quartzite boulders if they aren't covered in snow.

malky_c 15 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Here's a blow-by-blow account of a 'summer' ascent (although it was in November):
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16417

Nice route - I used to do it quite a lot when I still lived in Wales. Never been up in winter though.
OP TobyA 15 Jan 2015
In reply to all: Thanks very much all. I started looking at maps and thought I could see where it was.

Are any of you in North Wales? The forecast seems to suggest that it has been hammering down snow at least above 4-500 mtrs? Can't find a usable webcam they've all seem to have been blown in the wrong direction by the wind!

maxsmith 15 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

As above, park as far as you can up the road from Bethesda without tempting a farmer to 'key' your car with his tractor. Then a lovely (usually lonely) walk up avon llafar until you hit llech ddu. The only possible route-finding difficulty would be locating the leftwards ramp from cwmglas bach to the ridge itself in poor visibility. I did it on my own in snowy conditions last year and thoroughly enjoyed it
OP TobyA 15 Jan 2015
In reply to all: BTW, was this always in the bouldering forum? If so I apolgise, it was obviously meant to be in the winter forum. I thought I clicked on that one, but maybe not!

Dr.S at work 15 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

not as hard/fun as bristly, some nice little steps, I've approached it from the north (drop down the ridge on the west of the crag then contour around) which is a nice approach and you can have a look into cwm ffynon lloer (sp!) on the way in.
 Dave Williams 15 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

It's good in both winter and summer and, as with all such scrambles, difficulties are avoidable so you can make it as hard or as easy as you wish. You can then finish off with a circuit of Cwm Llafar, taking in Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llywelyn and Yr Elen before descending via Foel Ganol. In summer there's a reasonable path up the scree to the start of Crib Lem but as others have said, the base of the ridge can be hard to find in bad visibility and snow on the approach slope won't help either. (Hint - it starts higher than you think.)

In descent, there's a good path over Yr Elen as far as Foel Ganol but then it eventually peters out in the molinia. Alternatively you can descend directly into Cwm Llafar well to the NE of Ysgolion Duon or follow the Mynydd Du spur back to Gerlan.

Whatever route you take, it's a good little day out.

Dave
 Mike Peacock 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Williams:

If you have the time, I'd suggest a descent of Yr Elen's NE ridge, rather NW/Foel Ganol ridge. The NE ridge is excellent and airy. Good in summer, better in winter. http://tinyurl.com/pl92s7a

It's a long walk in/out though.
In reply to Mike Peacock:

An alternative to the parking issues (and in very cold weather the steep icy roads) at Gerlan is to park lower down, in Braichmelyn near SH629663, and either follow one of the footpaths up to the Gerlan road and walk in as usual, or alternatively follow Nant Graen (the lower part of the Afon Caseg) past some lovely pools/falls and up through Tyddyn ddu farm to join the usual route by the Waterworks.

This then allows another alternative descent route via Pen yr ole Wen and down the Braich y ty ddu / Cefn yr orsedd ridge and through the Braich Melyn woodland back to the parking spot.
 Mike Peacock 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

There are some lovely spots on the river there. I've never heard of the Nant Graen though. Is that a local name for that section (considering that at the A5 the river is named as the Caseg still)?.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...