UKC

Some vicarious enjoyment please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 17 Jan 2015
Staying at home today due to family circumstances rather than the planned day out on Western Rib, Aonach Mor. (Thought that might be the best option re avalanche-free and minimal slogging through pow en route.) Hope yous are all getting out! Do share some stories of your escapades here for my vicarious enjoyment.
 Pids 17 Jan 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
To avoid avalanche hazard I went sledging and then built a rather large snowman this morning
 Welsh Kate 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Pids:

Picture of the snowman then! I'm stuck indoors with a pile of marking, a snowman would be a nice change.
OP Tricadam 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Pids:

Yes, snowman pictures please!

Enjoyed seeing how much got climbed yesterday. Well done everyone who got out and on it!
 zimpara 18 Jan 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Picture of Pids bouldering/climbing/ a snowman would be cooler.
 TobyA 18 Jan 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

My friday mad-dash to-the-Lakes-and-back to get some winter climbing done! http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/pinnacle-ridge-st-sunday-cr...
 alasdair19 18 Jan 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Saturday was a blue bird day in the cairngorms.
We had fun on fluted buttress quite slow going in places but plenty of climbing.

Today was more typical. cold and windy high up though the skiers seemed pretty happy. We wandered over to lochan got spooked by the slab build up so wandered over to fiacaill buttress and rapped into Burning and looting which was excellent. Double bagging belay jackets even made the belaying bearable
 alastairbegley 18 Jan 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

Due to the large quantity of snow, we decided to learn to ski tour this weekend rather than climb. Threw ourselves in a the deep end and attempted the Cairngorm 4000ers over 2 days with a night at the corrour bothy. Had to abort today due to the very strong northerly winds creating blizzard conditions in the lairig ghru but it was a fantastic 2 days out, very tired now!
http://www.masterplan-mountaineering.co.uk/2015/01/attempt-ski-touring-cair...
OP Tricadam 22 Jan 2015
In reply to alastairbegley:

Thanks chaps.

Alastair B, the descent from Macdui to the Lairig Ghru looks absolutely fantastic! Have been toying for a while with the idea of a similar trip. Now it has to be done!
OP Tricadam 22 Jan 2015
In reply to AlH:

You certainly got the weather for it, Alan!

Will be out on Saturday
 alastairbegley 22 Jan 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

it was brilliant, although hard work with an overnight bag! I think the more usual descent is directly down the Taillear gully, but it looked like we would have to lose lots of height to get there and saw a slightly steaper line which went almost from the summit of Ben Macdui so decided to head down that and joined the Taillear fairly low down.
 Tony the Blade 22 Jan 2015
In reply to John Kelly:

I just love that sound at 1:13
OP Tricadam 22 Jan 2015
In reply to alastairbegley:

Yeah, would be good to do it in a day to avoid carrying masses of gear - early start! Never tried skiing with an overnight pack but I suspect it wouldn't do much for my "technique".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...