UKC

Climbing centres and clubs, Oldham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RJP 17 Jan 2015

Good afternoon all

I may be temporarily (couple of years say) relocating back home to Oldham near Saddleworth.

I've had a brief look online and struggled to find much in the way of good indoor climbing and bouldering centres? For comparison, I'm used to Leeds Wall, Depot and City Bloc (all in Leeds).

Am I in a black spot for climbing if I'm not willing to go all the way down to Stockport say for Awesome Walls for example.

Also club wise, are there any round Oldham? Oldham Mountaineering has a website that's not been updated in a long time. Do they even still exist?

Regards,
Post edited at 12:58
OP RJP 20 Jan 2015
I guess from the lack of replies this would mean that Oldham and its immediate surrounding area are a black spot, apart from the local crags in Saddleworth?

Regards,
 FreshSlate 20 Jan 2015
In reply to RJP:

Basically yes, there is MCC, Awesome Walls, Marple rope race, Rockover that are all good and well known.

A quick google shows up a sports centre in Oldham, Climb Bury, Climb Rochdale, new dimension. I haven't climbed at any of these, climb Rochdale looks like it could be worth a go, the others are likely poor.
 robin mueller 21 Jan 2015
In reply to RJP:

There's a club in Bury who are still active.
http://mountaineeringclubofbury.ning.com

Also, on the outdoor front you are well placed for Wimberry in one direction and Blackstone Edge in the other, plus all the newly documented moorland crags nearby (stony edge, dove Lowe etc.).
Andywalters 21 Jan 2015
In reply to RJP:

I live in Milnrow, just outside of Rochdale.

In terms of indoor climbing climb rochdale is the nearest, it's not got many routes but has quite a bit of bouldering. Otherwise like you said its stockport or manchester.

I'm a member of Innominata, a climbing and mountaineering club based in stockport.

Andy
Andywalters 21 Jan 2015
In reply to RJP:

Plenty of good mountain biking tho...
 ben1987 24 Jan 2015
In reply to RJP:

Climb rochdale on school lane is pretty good for bouldering, and rock over in Salford. there's a few of us climb together and we go there. There's plenty of climbing to be had around and about, wimberry being your closest and it's a great crag. Running hill pits is decent too. Over towards rochdale and littleborough you have summit quarry, and as mentioned before, Blackstone edge.
There's about 10 of us who go out regularly, you are more than welcome to climb with us, even if it's just to pick up some knowledge of local crags.
OP RJP 24 Jan 2015
Good evening,

Thank you for the replies. I'll take note of the comments and when the time comes, I'll definitely be getting in touch with those nearby (e.g. yourself Ben).

Regards,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...