UKC

Camper/work van tax implications

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
estivoautumnal 17 Jan 2015
If I were to buy a new van and have it converted to a mobile filming/editing unit with sleeping/cooking/shower facilities does any know of the tax implications? There seems to be very little info on the web and even my accountant seems a bit hazy on the matter.

Primary purpose will be a work van with very occasional private use.

I know where the tax man stands with regards to a work van.

Thanks in advance for any info.
 butteredfrog 17 Jan 2015
In reply to estivoautumnal:

If it's primarily a work vehicle, other than broadcasting the fact on here, who is going to know if you occasionally use it for Lesure purposes?
 Rick Graham 17 Jan 2015
The Vat and income tax status of a van depended on any side windows behind the drivers seat at one time.

It used to only be a van if no new windows had been fitted after the original factory specification.

Having said the above you can still usually claim business proportion expenses for any work vehicle if you can prove the figures are reasonable

Its usually simpler with a genuine van because you can claim VAT and full purchase price( ex VAT ). Can usually claim less on a car.
Post edited at 16:07
 Rick Graham 17 Jan 2015

> If I were to buy a new van and have it converted to a mobile filming/editing unit with sleeping/cooking/shower facilities

You can buy "welfare units" now with all these facilities. I bet these are claimed at 100%.

Tell the taxman that it is cheaper than using hotels so less expenses and more tax to be paid.

I did that on my second tax investigation and the inspector agreed immediately

I have sacked off two accountants and had two tax investigations straight after ( ?!),
Started a long explanation letter of why I claimed for two ( banger ) vehicles, got bored so just scrawled " no car no work no tax " in capitals across the page and signed it. Got a letter by return "we accept your figures.. blah blah .

clean bill of health on both which I remind the HMRC if they query any returns, again always does the trick.
 Rick Graham 17 Jan 2015
In reply to butteredfrog:

> If it's primarily a work vehicle, other than broadcasting the fact on here, who is going to know if you occasionally use it for Leisure purposes?

HMRC have not time to check everything, so rely on most people being honest, and knowing that if they catch any fiddles the penalties are very very harsh.

Its just not worth the risk.

And No, I haven't spoken to Mick Fowler for about 30 years.
 butteredfrog 17 Jan 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

If you can prove its your legitimate work vehicle it's hardly a fiddle is it?
 Cheese Monkey 17 Jan 2015

Depends how you're operating. I have the exact same situation, just claim business mileage and leave out private mileage. Simple
estivoautumnal 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Thanks everyone.

It's more about the tax liability on the purchase and conversion that I'm curious about. I'll give the tax office a call and see what their advice is.
 RichardP 19 Jan 2015

It's a mobile film/editing unit.
the bed and any stove etc is for use when you are working late on an outside broadcast and it can also be used for your welfare.

If you are working in a remote location where there are no access to hot food, working extremely long hours an employer has a responsibility to their employee. If you are employing someone to do your job you have a duty of care for their welfare. so obviously the business has a duty of care for you

Don't you know that as RAC van has a sink so the mechanic can wash his hand after working on your car?
Work Gangs on motorways have mobile canteens.

If you occasionally use it for personal use then you should make a note of personal mileage and then you could ask the HMRC when your filling in your self assessment.

I would have thought this would keep Mr Fowler and his colleagues happy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...