UKC

Refunds, where do I stand??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 baileyswalk 19 Jan 2015
I bought an offset flue pipe, upon installation it became apparent that it did not fit - it was a mm or two out in almost every dimension.

While trying to fit it I have damaged the enamel in a few places.

If I want a refund does the item have to be in as received condition?

The Sale of Goods Act states: " ...goods sold by business sellers must not be inherently faulty at the time of sale, must match any description given to them and, allowing for factors like price, they must be fit for their purpose, defect free, safe and durable."

The description of the flue pipe said it was "push fit" which is an industry standard - clearly it does not match these standards (as the flue pipe I was replacing did) but without trying to install it, and in the process damaging it, it was unknown.

So am I stuck with this lemon or rightfully am I due a refund??
 gethin_allen 19 Jan 2015
In reply to baileyswalk:

How about putting this to the seller/manufacturer?
 climbwhenready 19 Jan 2015
In reply to baileyswalk:

If it falls under the Sale of Goods Act it doesn't have to be in a resaleable condition. You are due a refund, although the retailer may well fight this.
In reply to baileyswalk:
"Refunds, where do i stand?" Usually it's outside the door marked refunds.

OP baileyswalk 19 Jan 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

> How about putting this to the seller/manufacturer?

Thanks for the snide tip, currently being ignored by the seller.
In reply to jonathan shepherd:

> "Refunds, where do i stand?" Usually it's outside the door marked refunds.

Have you been reading penguin jokes by any chance??
 johncook 19 Jan 2015
In reply to baileyswalk:

Was it recommended by the seller or the manufacturer? Was it designed to be an internal push fit or an external one. If it was in internal push fit but you are trying to put it on a smaller spigot as an external fit there will be dimension problems, the 'cone' will taper the wrong way. Also vice versa.
It is some years since I was in the flue/chimney industry, but many people suffered from wrong advice, often dangerous. If the seller or manufacturer recommended it, and/or sold it along with the stove, then they are liable to give you a refund. If you went in with a tape measure and bought it off your own bat you may have a problem.
In reply to johncook:

It was neither really... But it was designed for the stove I have 6" flue pipe, push fit. The straight pipe was the same spec and fits perfectly, I need to move it further off the back wall tho so need to offset it.
J1234 20 Jan 2015
In reply to baileyswalk:

Is a non qualified person supposed to do stuff like this, I thought it came under regs a bit like Corgi and Niccs
OP baileyswalk 20 Jan 2015
In reply to SCrossley:

Aye, heatas is the regulatory organisation but you don't need to be heatas certified to work on your own installation. There are recommendations that come with your stove, usually clearances to combustibles and the air gap around the stove, which is usually aroud 10cm (in other peoples houses I've noticed this is often ignored). If this is not adhered to then building regs could insist that it is rectified before you sell your house but I've been told unless their being really picky they seldom care about the air gap only about the distance to combustibles, the air gap is more about having your stove work at its optimum. Which incedently is why I want to fit this offset flue pipe, as the guy that I got to fit it obviously didn't give a crap about the air gap at the back and did a really bad job on the closure plate. So basically I'm changing/upgrading which is OK to do as a diy'er and all the parts are heatas approved.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...