UKC

Recommend me some routes in Montserrat, Spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TraverseKing 21 Jan 2015
Hi, Im off to Montserrat in few weeks time. Could you recommend me some long (150m+), fully bolted multi-pitch routes in the grade 6b to 7a in the area?
cheers, Peter
 wynaptomos 21 Jan 2015
In reply to TraverseKing:

Long time since I was there but remember El Cavall de Bernat being really good at the lower end of that grade range and around 6 pitches.
OP TraverseKing 21 Jan 2015
In reply to wynaptomos:

thanks
 mark hounslea 21 Jan 2015

El Cavall de Bernat is brilliant. I remember a 50 m 6b+ pitch with about 25 bolts in it in an amazing position.
OP TraverseKing 22 Jan 2015

40km from Barcelona, over 2000 routes, beautiful setting and only two replies (thanks btw) about one route? Montserrat does not seem very popular, why is that? Any ideas??
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 22 Jan 2015

Eh! Petrel 7a, is a 28m single pitch classic at Cova de l'arcada.
 auld al 23 Jan 2015

> 40km from Barcelona, over 2000 routes, beautiful setting and only two replies (thanks btw) about one route? Montserrat does not seem very popular, why is that? Any ideas??

used to have a reputation for run out and old gear - perhaps now 'modernised' - certainly some have been, and possible a lack of information in English?
Removed User 23 Jan 2015

Peter, all of the locals climb on the south side of Montserrat in winter as the north is just too cold. The climbers bar is Bar Anna in El Bruc and you will find climbers and copies of the local guide books. If you are going to climb there for several days I would recommend buying the CaraSur volume 2 guide (multi pitches). Be careful as there are some bird restrictions in place on some crags. To get you started, routes on El Clot de la Monica, La Pastereta are stunning. Viatge Apatxe 150 6b+, El Kraken 165m 6b+ are on a south facing wall and are 4* routes. These are fully bolted and are set up for abb descent but take a small rack as other routes need a few friends etc.
have a great time as it is a superb area.
OP TraverseKing 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Removed UserMike Rhodes:

nice one Mike, cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...