UKC

Inspiring news for older climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 22 Jan 2015
Hey UKC,

I find that a lot of the news articles are of younger people doing incredible stuff on boulders etc., which I don't find particularly inspiring. How about some news stories that deal with older climbers like this:

http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/lee-sheftel-climbs-5-13b-at-68-years-o...

As Steph Davis says is her article (which I came across looking for stories on older climbers):

"Nowadays kids seem to be starting to climb basically from the day they leave the womb and going directly to train in the gym, and so they almost expect to be climbing 5.16 by the time they are in eighth grade. Like watching young gymnasts or ice skaters, it’s lovely and fascinating to see children and small lizards scampering up unimaginably difficult walls, but it is definitely not what I would call “inspiring.” Since none of us will ever become younger or a small reptile, these impressive feats do not give anyone who is not in that demographic anything to aspire to–and can also make you question if it’s possible to even try….

However, watching someone who is several decades older than you, AND of the same species, climb an unimaginably difficult wall makes you think, “wow, maybe I could do that someday too!” and that is the meaning of inspiration."

As someone who came late to climbing (40), its great to hear of folk more than 20 years your senior, doing these things.
 johncook 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I have the same problem. I resort to watching/reading about 'middle aged' climbers. I came back to climbing about 8 years ago (after a 22 year break), and am currently working my way back up the grades (so I can climb some of the interesting/inspiring/aesthetic harder routes on my ticklist!) and am back up to HVS/E1 trad and F6b/c (5.10/11a) At 65 it is a hard slog, having to take care of all the old fogey ailments (arthritis, reynauds etc etc).
I will never be newsworthy, but I will still be enjoying myself when a lot of the 'hot-housed' kids have given up.
Try looking for some of the Stevie Haston stuff for 'older folk' inspiration. There are many others out there.
OP Flinticus 22 Jan 2015
In reply to johncook:

Now, that's inspiring!
 Dave Reeve 22 Jan 2015
In reply to johncook:
I guess a side benefit of getting older is that our arthritic fingers tend to form a natural claw or hook shape - useful for crimpy stuff.. I'm 61 and hope to maintain my climbing level or even get better... I managed to lead a 7A (which doesn't happen very often by the way) at a well known Sheffield climbing wall last week only for them to downgrade it to 6C/6C+ afterwards - is this a touch of ageism ? (I smiled to myself by the way)
Post edited at 11:46
 johncook 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Dave Reeve:

The white one on the DMM wall. Same here! Bugger.
The good thing at my age is the lack of memory, so every lead is an onsight!
Watch out for me, I am the loud old one with a pony tail (Which will be shaved off for mountain rescue at the end of April. Only grown because some said I would be bald by 2015! Will have taken me three years!)
Try the black 6c on the auto belays. Just like Marathon Man E3 6a at Shining Cliff!
 iksander 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

See also Jeff Mercier and Will Gadd; pushing world standards on dry, ice and mixed - sticking it to the youngsters while in their late 40s!
 GridNorth 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Not in the same league but at 66 years old I'm climbing the same grade I climbed back in the 70's and 80's which is around E2/E3. I peaked at E5 in my 50's but I'm content and don't care a jot that grades have moved on. Unfortunately as you get older the effort required increases but the benefit decreases.

Al
 PATTISON Bill 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Just young lads really ,I will be 81 next month and still manage 6b at the wall and 6a on the crags .There are a good few golden oldies about my age really enjoying their climbing with nothing to prove and a cast iron excuse when we cant get up something.Its great .
 johncook 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

There are also the 'grumpies' who alternate between Awesome and the Foundry, who also still climb hard.
In reply to Flinticus:

Inspiring stuff. But still a bit too awesome for us older climbers who have never been any good at it.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Jan 2015
 deepstar 22 Jan 2015
In reply to stroppygob:

> Inspiring stuff. But still a bit too awesome for us older climbers who have never been any good at it.

I found this thread quite depressing as although at 63 I still climb regularly I've always been a low grade climber. I suppose I should console myself with the fact that I'm still climbing and still enjoying it.
 LeeWood 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Agreed - in common with the witnessing of aged runners in a marathon. It is not always simple to judge but real inspiration comes from the people who have battled their success against the odds, rather than those who are quite simply gifted.
In reply to deepstar:

> I found this thread quite depressing as although at 63 I still climb regularly I've always been a low grade climber. I suppose I should console myself with the fact that I'm still climbing and still enjoying it.

I've always been a low grade climber, but what i've got out of it far outweighs my lack of progress through the grades.
Meeting and spending time with Johnny D didn't even dent that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...