UKC

Opening links.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alibaba 22 Jan 2015
Why is UKC deciding for me how I want to open links (in new tab)?
That should never be forced upon user and good manner is to leave it to the users to decide how they want to open each link.

Could that be changed, please?
Timarzi 22 Jan 2015
In reply to alibaba:

Actually, I like it. If a post mentions a link then I probably don't want to leave my place in the thread to see what it is. It's not something that would be difficult to achieve myself, but I prefer it this way.
In reply to alibaba:

'Open in new tab' is probably better 'netiquette' when linking to an external site, since it doesn't muck up/lose the page you're currently on. You either have to 'close tab' for the newly-opened link when you're done with it, or go 'back'. Both of which are single operations. If you do a lot of navigation on the linked site, not opening a new tab means you have to do a lot of 'back' clicking to get back to where you linked from. Opening a new tab means you just close the new tab when you're done with the new site, and switch back to the calling page.

The behaviour for tab navigation can be changed with browser options.

I prefer it to open in a new tab, because that's what I'd do anyway; it's how I read threads. If the thread list pages opened threads in a new tab, rather than following the link and replacing the content of the current tab with the linked page, I'd be a happier bunny.
alibaba 22 Jan 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Don't agree. If you want open links in new tab configure your browser to do it for each link you click on. Get to know your browser better so you can control where links open.

And here's the key issue - by opening them in new tab by default someone at UKC decided how I browse the internet. I know when I want to open link in a new tab and when just load a page in current one.

According your reference to netiquette - it is consider a bad netiquette to open links in new window/tabs.
 felt 22 Jan 2015
In reply to alibaba:

Christ, classic first world problem or what?
 richprideaux 22 Jan 2015
In reply to alibaba:

- Most people don't want to 'get to know their browser', but the majority of people will probably appreciate not losing their place on the original site, as Cap'n P there says.

- UKC aren't deciding how you browse the internet, they are making a decision (one I agree with) on how their site functions. If you don't like it, click that wee X up there in the tab you are using and it will all go away.

FactorXXX 22 Jan 2015
In reply to felt:

Christ, classic first world problem or what?

Yes, nearly as bad as asking for advice on how to remove labels from stolen library books...
 john arran 22 Jan 2015
In reply to alibaba:

It's entirely normal web behaviour for internal links to open in the same tab while external links open in a new tab. This is for very good reasons and I for one am glad that UKC follows this very common convention.
alibaba 22 Jan 2015
In reply to john arran:
You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Same goes to others.
Post edited at 20:04
 damowilk 22 Jan 2015
In reply to alibaba:
You're really winning people round to your way of thinking with those honey words and crisp, well thought arguments

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...