UKC

Rjukan climbing do i need a car?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Somerville 24 Jan 2015
Going to rjukan on the 1st of feb. Do i need a car?!
 Fiskavaig 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Somerville:
You could manage quite easily without, but it would be useful to get to Ozzimosis. It makes it a lot quicker to get up to Kroken as well.
Post edited at 17:39
OP Somerville 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Fiskavaig:

Okay dude, thanks. How long would it take to walk tooo lower gorge for example?

I know there is buses etc but i dont knoow how reliable they are? anyone.
 GarethSL 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Somerville:

Where are you staying?
 Robertobob 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Somerville:

The ski bus goes to Ozzimosis. Hitching is easy too.

G.
 dabreen 25 Jan 2015
In reply to GrendeI:

central rjukan
 ro8x 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Somerville:

Lower gorge from Central Rjukan wouldn't be too bad at all 20 minutes if you follow the road and abseil in (down a router called Toilet if I remember rightly).

As mentioned before, you can hitch quite easily.

Fiskavaig 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Somerville:

The best thing to do would be to get a map, and the Heavy Water guide book, all the info you need is there, and you can see how far apart the different climbing areas are. Having said that, you can work it all out from the guide its self.
OP Somerville 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Somerville:

thanks for all the replies! good info
 Mr. Lee 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Somerville:

Just checked Google Maps. Krokan is 9km from Rjukan centre. Vermork Bridge about 5km. Some of the accommodation is East of the centre, so further still from these areas. Never seen a bus go up the main road so unless you plan to climb at Ozzimosis then you will struggle. Either a lot of walking or hitching. I've never seen anybody hitch in Norway so don't think it's common practice. Probably relying on climbers for lifts.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Somerville:

We have just come back from 6 days there. A car was essential to drive to supermarket, as well as in between venues. It will be a long uphill walk to most venues, then the approach

I could not imagine walking back to central Rjukan after all day climbing and would not envisage depending on others to give me a lift, as everyone will certainly be on different schedules.

Without a car, i think you would have a lot of suffering for minor savings in the long run, but that is just my view

Avi
penny1stu1 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Avinash Aujayeb:

I agree, been a fair few times, wouldn't do it without a car. It just makes it so much easier all the climbs bar the peaks are 5 mins walk from the road. It also allows you to change your plans and therefore venue dependant on the ice conditions.

Have a good one!
 phildawson 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Somerville:

My experience, it was easy enough to get picked up from outside of town, but no one would pick you up from in Rjukan itself. The buses were reliable but infrequent. Between hitching, and catching rides with other people in the hostel (the old school, which indecently I'd highly recommend), it was easy enough to get around. Having a car would definitely give you more flexibility though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...