UKC

Join the Army, they said, It's better than British trains.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 26 Jan 2015
Fine cinematography and slow-motion, gun toting water-sports aside, the primary message of the Army's new advertising campaign in Waterloo station seems to be that life in the Army is at least better than our daily sojourn to the office on British trains.

I know the trains are bad but, honestly, can't they do better? The Roman soldiers fighting Asterix and Obelix cited better arguments for joining up.
 Sharp 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

I'd quite like to see an Army advert with Mike from spaced, stroking an SA80 with a grin on his face saying "do you want to hold her"?
 humptydumpty 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

Seems reasonable - apart from the bit where you have to risk your life and take others' in questionably-motivated wars, the army sounds a lot more fun and healthy than anything office-based.
 Trangia 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

The Army is busy shedding trained soldiers with the one hand and recruiting with the other.

Wouldn't increasing the retirement age be a better (short term) solution?
 girlymonkey 26 Jan 2015
In reply to humptydumpty:

> Seems reasonable - apart from the bit where you have to risk your life and take others' in questionably-motivated wars, the army sounds a lot more fun and healthy than anything office-based.

Haha, have you seen how much they drink and smoke?!?! I did some work with soldiers last year and was appalled at how unhealthy and unfit they were.
 StuA15 26 Jan 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

If you spent 5 years thinking that in the next 6 months you would very likely have your heid/legs blown off it would drive you to that too :p

In all fairness i spent 16 years in the Army, and while yes you do get the occasional bon viveur that smokes and drinks to excess, the majority of them are healthy, and even the ones that smoke tend to be of above average fitness!

All unit dependent though....
abseil 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

> ...the primary message of the Army's new advertising campaign in Waterloo station seems to be that life in the Army is at least better than our daily sojourn to the office on British trains.... honestly, can't they do better?

That's right. I for one would rather be on the 8.15 to Waterloo every day than in Afghanistan. Anyone on here think otherwise?
KevinD 26 Jan 2015
In reply to abseil:
> Anyone on here think otherwise?

As much as I loath when I have to go into London during rush hour it doesnt seem a difficult choice. At least I am just facing incompetence rather than malice (actually thinking on it I am not convinced thats quite true however it is a level of malice which has to stop short of physical harm).
Post edited at 11:32
 girlymonkey 26 Jan 2015
In reply to StuA15:

> If you spent 5 years thinking that in the next 6 months you would very likely have your heid/legs blown off it would drive you to that too :p

I'm not saying there are not reasons for it, just pointing out that it's not necessarily a more healthy lifestyle than something office based.

Yes, it could be unit dependant, all guys I worked with were from one unit. They were an infantry unit, so I expected a high level of fitness, but infact the fittest of them were the engineers, most of the rest were pretty shockingly unfit.
 MG 26 Jan 2015
In reply to abseil:

> That's right. I for one would rather be on the 8.15 to Waterloo every day than in Afghanistan. Anyone on here think otherwise?

I don't, but I am pretty certain many in the army do, or they wouldn't join. In fact, I suspect the appeal isn't so different to mountaineering - controlling risk, working in small groups, not confined to an office (or train) etc.
abseil 26 Jan 2015
In reply to MG:

> I don't, but I am pretty certain many in the army do, or they wouldn't join...

Good point, and I think my comment was a bit narrow-minded - i.e. just thinking of myself and other UKC readers/posters [though I still maintain the vast majority of the latter would rather be on a daily train to London than in Afghanistan].
 Toby_W 26 Jan 2015
In reply to abseil:

Having been in the services when I was younger I would choose the war zone over commuting to London. Not so much now I have a family and two small ones but part of the reason I climb is that every now and again you find yourself in a situation that you would never choose to put yourself in yet if you make it will leave you buzzing. Stories you tell your friends for years afterwards and leave you closer to your climbing partner than almost anyone else. I'm slightly surprised that people would choose the soul destroying monotonous death that I think commuting and working in London must be with the dirt and pollution.

Cheers

Toby
abseil 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Toby_W:

> Having been in the services when I was younger I would choose the war zone over commuting to London... I'm slightly surprised that people would choose the soul destroying monotonous death that I think commuting and working in London must be with the dirt and pollution...

Cheers, Toby, and thanks a lot for your reply - it broadened my rather narrow mind again (as you must know I'm not being sarcastic!)

But I've always chosen that commuting and working. I've lived in London: and since then lived in far bigger [let's say mega] cities. I've always enjoyed it*.

*And of course to me it's neither soul destroying or monotonous in the least.
Post edited at 12:57
 Toby_W 26 Jan 2015
In reply to abseil:

My Aunt and Uncle have always lived in London and love it. You're all bonkers. Though it is nice to visit.

Cheers

Toby
abseil 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Toby_W:

> ....You're all bonkers.

I couldn't agree more...

But to me living in London is a million times better than visiting...

I'm going to get my head examined tomorrow. You probably think I'm joking....

Cheers Toby, and all the best.
 climbwhenready 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Toby_W:

> I'm slightly surprised that people would choose the soul destroying monotonous death that I think commuting and working in London must be with the dirt and pollution.

19 months to go .....
 Bobling 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Yeah, part of the new strategy to greatly increase the role the TA *cough* I mean Army Reserve play. Wonder how that one's going?

What was the unit GirlyMonkey? Name and shame!
Removed User 27 Jan 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

>> Yes, it could be unit dependant, all guys I worked with were from one unit. They were an infantry unit, so I expected a high level of fitness, but infact the fittest of them were the engineers, most of the rest were pretty shockingly unfit.

Some of the line Infantry regiments are bobbins, or Guards regiments that are on public duties. Engineers tend to have dual roles, tend to require brains and brawn and have two of the best and fittest minor units in the British Army in 59 and 9 Sqn.

Sits back, smiles and waits for the bun fight
 Oogachooga 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Removed User:

59 commando and 9 para. I was with a few guys who moved across to those regiments and they were the fittest and focused of the troops.

Ex 21 engineer regiment here, yes we did drink and smoke shitloads all of the time. Some got fat, some had an equal passion for fitness in equal sadistic ways!

If you enjoy it, the army is a good way to gain an early retirement and a stack of cash (if you eventually learn how to save it).

For me though it was one of those typical life stories where you can't wait to get out but miss it later in life when the a420 commute to oxford is like friggin ground hog day!
OP Xharlie 27 Jan 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:

4.2 months to go ...
 BHound 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Xharlie:
When I was in 35 Engr Regt for a while and remember being told that we consistently came out top in the Opeval results, but then the CO was nicknamed the Silver Fox for his love of running, tabbing and battle PT. I did 8 tours and certainly appreciated the ability to be able to run with kit on a few occasions!
Saying that the same drive and determination which carried over into mountaineering when I left has also helped me catch a few Friday night rush hour trains from Waterloo since.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...