UKC

Andalucia in June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scaredandweak 27 Jan 2015
I'm going to Andalucia in June. Is there any point in taking any gear, or will it just be too hot? Thanks for any advice
 Oldsign 27 Jan 2015
In reply to scaredandweak:

We tried hiring a guide in las alpujarras, english guys I think, and they said they only did anything at over 2000ft or some such during peak summer Due to the heat. Worth rattling off an email too them as my memory is sketchy. They were called Spanish Highs Mountain Guides
http://www.spanishhighs.co.uk/

They might be able to recommend other guides in other parts of the mountains too.
 Nic 27 Jan 2015

You could conceivably search out some of the shaded crags (Desplomlandia on the other side of El Chorro comes to mind) but even in the shade it will be stinking hot.
 Sean_J 27 Jan 2015
Loja is a North-facing crag at about 1000m ASL - that might be OK, i've been there quite a lot in May and September and been freezing cold at times, so summer might not be too bad up there. Best enjoyed if you climb 7a and above but there's still good stuff in the 6's.

Then again, if the forecast is not too warm for June and you're there early in the month, bits of Chorro might be OK as long as you chase the shade and climb in early mornings and late evenings. You might even be able to climb all day long if it's a "cold" day and you're at a shady crag.
Post edited at 18:05
 hands solo 27 Jan 2015

i have been to Desplomlandia in july and it was great amazing crag
OP scaredandweak 28 Jan 2015

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful
 James Malloch 28 Jan 2015
I'd third Desplomiandia - I climbed there in September 2011 in 35+ degrees heat and it was okay. Amazing routes as well! Think there is a Top 50: 6a, 6a+, 6b, 6b+, 6c, 6c+, 7a as well as many more great lines!

When I say okay I mean it's not ideal conditions, but there's enough in the lower grades to keep you happy despite being a little warm.
Post edited at 10:05
No problem if you pick the shade routes and crags.
Grazalema after mid day. Benaocaz has several crags so you can move around as the day goes on . All in David Munilla's guide to Cadiz and his Andalucia guide.
Enjoy
Martyn
Www.casadelimon.co.uk
 Foolow Mike 29 Jan 2015
Yes it will be hot but there are lots of routes that can be climbed in the shade. The crags at Monachil just outside Granada are worth a visit. A narrow gorge with climbing above a running stream. It's described at Los Cahoros in David Munilla's Andalusia guide. Orgiva Crag is a gorge too so you can alternate from one side to the other as the sun moves around.

mike
Sierra Nevada Guides
Post edited at 19:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...