UKC

Women's Boots Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Milesy 27 Jan 2015
My friend is looking to get a better pair of boots and having only wore my own boots for the last 5 years I don't know what is what these days.

Ideally she wants to be able to use them for everything from general mountaineering but also the possibility of climbing with them in the future - including front-pointing at the Ice Factor in the interim.

How stiff are say the Rebel Lite for a bit of ice climbing?

Also anyone tried out the Mammut Magic for women?

Cheers
 Carolyn 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Milesy:

I haven't tried the Rebel Lite - but the description sounds like the Charmoz would be a better choice for ice climbing - and I know plenty of people who only ever wear fell shoes or Charmoz (or whatever the Sportiva equivalent is called), so they're not a bad choice for general mountaineering, particularly if that includes harder scrambles where a stiff boot is a bonus.

Not a lot of help, I realise...
 randomsabreur 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Milesy:

Depends what size... Smaller = stiffer...
 Hay 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Milesy:
Hi, as noted smaller = stiffer. Also girls tend to be lighter so unless warmth is crucial then I agree with Charmoz recommendation. Charmoz Pro very cheap in your friendly local Tiso at the moment....£162.
Bruce
 BnB 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Milesy:

I switched from one to the other and the Rebel Lite is miles better than the Charmoz for all types of walking and climbing except front pointing. Lighter, better edging and smearing, more comfortable (to me) there really is no contest. When you need to front point at the ice factor use the hire boots they offer for free as part of the standard charge.
OP Milesy 28 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:
Thanks everyone.

According to scarpa the Rebel Light is a more flexible boot than the Charmoz and less suitable for climbing.

How useful will the Charmoz they be for say up to Scottish grade III mixed and ice?
Post edited at 15:50
 Hay 29 Jan 2015
In reply to Milesy:
I know folks who've climbed tech 7 in them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...