UKC

Epic of Everest on iPlayer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maxsmith 02 Feb 2015
Annoying Twit 03 Feb 2015
In reply to maxsmith:
I'm watching it now. I knew they were applying siege tactics in those days, but it's still an eye-opener when you see just how many laden yaks they had carrying out of Phari.

I've just finished reading The Ascent of Nanda Devi by Tilman. So it's interesting to see Odell in moving images. The shots of Mallory and Irvine are poignant given that we know what's coming, and they don't.
Post edited at 00:56
 simondgee 03 Feb 2015
In reply to maxsmith:

As you say slowburner but very powerful at the end...
 AymanC 03 Feb 2015
In reply to maxsmith:
I thought it was absolutely enthralling.
Even if you didn't happen to be interested in mountaineering/history just as a piece of filmmaking its amazing...
And for a new score for silent film to actually be quite good seems very rare!
Post edited at 01:09
OP maxsmith 03 Feb 2015
In reply to AymanC: I really enjoyed this film... I found not having any spoken dialogue made me enjoy the scenery a lot more.

As above, very poignant to see the video of Mallory, Irvine and the others joking as they pose for the group shot midway through..

In reply to maxsmith:

This looks very good, thanks for putting it up. It was the story of Mallory and Irvine that first inspired me to take up mountaineering.
Graeme G 03 Feb 2015
In reply to maxsmith:

Started watching it on BBC4 the other night......way too slow for my modern palette so gave up. Might try and give it another go. I've just finished reading Into the Silence so would be nice to round off the story by watching the film.
Annoying Twit 03 Feb 2015
In reply to maxsmith:
There's a very short article about the film and its restoration here: http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/restoring-epic-everest

There's an even shorter news item announcing that the film was going to be restored here: http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/legendary-everest-film-be-restored
Post edited at 15:48
 malk 06 Feb 2015
In reply to maxsmith:

mesmerising..
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
What I find interesting about your comment is that you had the perseverance to work through the 600+ pages of the book but found the TV programme difficult to watch due to its slowness. I do understand this - I sometimes persist with a book even though it is demanding but I can often decide quite easily to abandon a TV programme that doesn't grab me. Why is this?
Graeme G 06 Feb 2015
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Even more impressive.....it was an Xmas gift in 2013. I lost it and then had to buy a copy so i could finish it!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...