UKC

Thread juxto: sublime to the ridiculous

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve nevers 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Bob:

Can not be arsed to read 200 odd posts of piffle,

whats your point?
 Offwidth 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Bob:

I'm with you.... a pretty manufactured and typically busy thread about press linked image distortion with loads of dumb replies vs exactly the sort of thread that makes UKC still worthwhile: a proper climbing thread with good stories and advice and not a dumb argument or childish comment in sight.
 Goucho 04 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
a proper climbing thread with good stories and advice and not a dumb argument or childish comment in sight.

Give it time!
Post edited at 09:36
 Offwidth 04 Feb 2015
In reply to Goucho:
I am, and its still looking good and the other thread is improving with some adult comment (despite it remaining rather manufactured) !
Post edited at 14:13
 jsmcfarland 05 Feb 2015

labeling other peoples views as piffle or dumb is just the same intellectual laziness as you seem to be accusing the others of, just saying :p The eiger thread is nice!
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Bob:

It's a social media battlefield out there!

Everybody is desperate to get your attention.
 Offwidth 05 Feb 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Sometimes when it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck. The intellectual laziness is in the unthinking and the illogical posts. The internet is full of idiots who think all opinions are equally valid irrespective of expertise and rigour. Its nice to see a thread where the gems are not swamped by the rabble.
 jsmcfarland 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Who's the arbiter of validity, expertise and rigour? that's the beauty of internet forums. They are just the modern day equivalent of spray down the pub. You wouldn't sit in the pub looking down on people for having opinions would you?
 Offwidth 05 Feb 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

If they spout illogical shite from no knowledge, with no sense of irony why on earth not? This isn't about political difference, it's mostly egotistical pig ignorance. You dont need to worry about arbiters for contraditions, falsehoods or complete lack of awareness.

They always say beauty is in the eye of the beholder: I clearly see some of the internet's biggest weaknesses as what you seem to be claiming as strengths. UKC is a positive example in my view in that it has a pub for such crap.
 Goucho 05 Feb 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:
> Who's the arbiter of validity, expertise and rigour? that's the beauty of internet forums. They are just the modern day equivalent of spray down the pub. You wouldn't sit in the pub looking down on people for having opinions would you?

That would depend on whether that person was speaking from knowledge and experience regarding the subject matter in question?

If they were, then it's a valid educated opinion. If not, then it's just a personal opinion - and of course everyone is entitled to have them - but it can't have the same credibility.

Therefore, in a thread about say the Eiger NF, who's opinions would you say are more valid, those who have actually been on the face, or those who have only read about it?

All opinions are not equal, even in the world of internet forums. Just because the platform allows someone to voice their opinion, doesn't actually validate that opinion.
Post edited at 13:55
 Mike Stretford 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
>UKC is a positive example in my view in that it has a pub for such crap.

In theory, but Mick doesn't seem to read the posting guidelines.... like our OP!
Post edited at 13:56
 Offwidth 05 Feb 2015
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Mick is a disruptive influence and proud of it (on the other channel they call him something much ruder), yet he is a long way from the self-opinionated ignoramous who believes in their equality of viewpoint irrespective of the sense they make. Rules are to help keep the site working well and I think we should forgive minor breaches if the result is useful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...