UKC

Article about autism - great piece of writing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 07 Feb 2015
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/i-am-not-a-scientist-but-i-am-a...

I read this earlier; I'm not sure why because I have no particular interest in the subject, but I thought it was beautifully written and quite powerful for it, so thought I'd share.
 colinakmc 07 Feb 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Liked the article. I do a bit of work with folk with autism and I love the idea that they're exactly the way they're supposed to be, but Ivw also learned that it is bloody difficult and stressful being someone with autism, and probably a bit worse to parent someone with autism. We don't need a cure, but we do need to get better at providing the right learning opportunities and environments for autistic folk.

And it would be good to understand why diagnosis rates are going through the roof.
In reply to colinakmc:

> Liked the article. . . We don't need a cure, but we do need to get better at providing the right learning opportunities and environments for autistic folk.

> And it would be good to understand why diagnosis rates are going through the roof.

This article is in response to the anti-vaxxer movement that currently is the cause of a measles outbreak centered around Disneyland - they genuinely believe their child will get autism if they recieve the MMR vaccine which i find strange as I'd rather be autistic than suffer from measles and all the complications that go with that.

Diagnosis rates are going up becuase Autism is in the mainstream media and people are getting their children tested who wouldn't normally have been tested.
 aln 08 Feb 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

> I'd rather be autistic than suffer from measles

Is this a typo?
In reply to aln:

Nope - autism doesn't give you pneumonia or encephilitis
 buzby 08 Feb 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

my young grandson is now 7 and has Asperger's and adhd tied in together, something of a potent mix. I have him over to stay every 2nd week for the weekend and its both utterly exhausting and fantastic at the same time.
his irrational fears and meltdowns have become a part of life and are as challenging for whoever is watching him as they are for himself.
its hard to imagine the pressure a parent must feel when its every day and night. While Asperger's is on the autistic spectrum its not easy to identify which makes it all the harder at times.
I often wonder how many kids in the past went undiagnosed and simply written off as bad behaved wee shites.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...