UKC

casual work from home

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harry Ellis 16 Feb 2015
Does anyone know of some way to earn a bit of money on a casual basis from home?
I am recovering from a skiing injury but would prefer not to just fester for two months and the process of claiming benefits does not appeal.
I dont mind doing mind numbingly boring things for money especially if they can be done whilst listening to the radio
Any suggestions welcome, reasonable or otherwise
 krikoman 16 Feb 2015
In reply to thegoatstroker:

> Any suggestions welcome, reasonable or otherwise

You could prostituted yourself, a little executive relief for the locals, depends on your injuries of course.
OP Harry Ellis 16 Feb 2015
In reply to krikoman:

Ha, might work. There are probably people for whom spinal corsets are a turn on! Might be too much bending though. Theres always chat lines i guess.
 Only a hill 16 Feb 2015

If you have the skills, proofreading from home is possible. Some training is usually necessary (although this can be self-taught) and actually landing any jobs depends on your contacts, but you can do the work from anywhere you can get out a laptop.
In reply to Only a hill:
Cheers Alex, had thought of that, but, as you say, getting the work in the short term may be the problem. I know someone who does it for a living so will ask them. I find myself now checking the punctuation in this post!
Thanks
Harry
Post edited at 09:18
 Scarab9 16 Feb 2015

There's lots you could try depending on your current skills via freelancing sites and even some basically some requiring none such as data input. The problem is from what I've seen is that there's a lot of competition (from all over the world) so you're going to have to be accepting very low pay for your time - meaning well below minimum.

If you can get some very basic skills in an area and have patience you can quickly build a career out of something though, such as proof reading or web design or programming, or logo design, or translating etc.

If you're only laid up for 2 months you're probably best thinking about learning something new rather than finding a source of income. It will likely be less frustrating,ore rewarding, and give you the ability to do some casual work in future with some continued study.
 Only a hill 16 Feb 2015

It's actually my profession too – or at least part of it – so feel free to email me if you need any advice!
 Only a hill 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

Freelancing sites like freelancer.co.uk can get you started, but competition tends to be cut-throat, as you say.

99% of my freelance work comes from personal contacts and recommendations.
3WiseMonkeysClimbingFortWilliam 16 Feb 2015

there's a website called fiverr.com which lets you sell your services, not sure how lucrative it is but maybe pocket money if you come up with good ideas. I know a few people that use it for offering translations.

Oliver
 marsbar 16 Feb 2015

Are you any good with a sewing machine? You could make chalk bags, kit bags etc and sell them on eBay or through your local wall?
Thanks for all the ideas,
I wondered about doing telephone work for polling companies. Must be a bit of that about coming up to elections. Anyone know anything about it? Or any other telephone type work?
 coinneach 16 Feb 2015

Try mystery shopping companies.

They tend to have telephone type test calls available.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...