UKC

Seagull guitars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HB1 16 Feb 2015
Wondering if anyone has a Seagull guitar, or has played one. What with arthritic/dupytrenic/climb-abused fingers I'm having trouble with my old Yamaha, and looking for a guitar with a wider fretboard to play my stuff. It's the Seagull S6 original I have in mind. Maybe there are other contenders? Looking forward to good advice!
 loose overhang 17 Feb 2015
In reply to HB1:

About two years ago I did a lot of research to find a good quality, reasonably priced guitar. My searches often came up with Seagulls as being just that. I went to a few guitar stores around Vancouver, BC which sold them and I found the best price of about $400 at Prestige Guitars. They didn't have any in stock at the time, but said they expected a delivery within about three weeks. I went back to the place several times, but the expected Seagulls were still, "..on the way"

After one of these visits, on my way home, I called into a pawn shop which had a moderate selection of musical equipment, and hanging on the wall was a Seagull S6+ Spruce. I strummed it a while and had a good look over it, and it seemed to be in very good condition, so I bought it for $150. I think it was a great deal. The serial number says it was made in 1997. There is hardly a mark on it and best of all, of course, it sounds beautiful.

Since then I have tried several other acoustic guitars, including Martin, Yamaha, Larravie, Cort. Therefore low to high in reputation, but I think my Seagull sounds as well as any of those others. I play it most days and it always gives me pleasure. If I lost mine I'd buy another.
 Dave Garnett 17 Feb 2015
In reply to HB1:

I have an S6, which (I think) has a nice tone. I did have some trouble with the height of the action but tightening the truss rod and some slightly lighter strings fixed that and now the action is fine and barre chords are much easier.
In reply to HB1:

You sound like youve got fingers like me. I've gone to the extreme of playing a 12 string Seagull with 6 strings....sounds great...
OP HB1 18 Feb 2015
In reply to HB1:

Many thanks for your comments. Certainly looks like a Seagull for me (I confess I did have a play on one recently, and liked the feel of it). Whether it'll make me a better guitarist - I have my doubts!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...