UKC

Plaster Skimming DIY Question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mountain Llama 16 Feb 2015
Hi Folks

The other half has just finished removing the heavy embossed paper from hall, stairs and landing, while I was ice climbing in Rjukan!

The plan is to skim and paint. Only issue is that Mags has uncovered the DIY sins of the past and discovered a previous door frame has been carefully filled with chipboard and plastic covered chipboard!

My question is will tapping all the joints up and several coats of pva be sufficient for the plaster to adhere too? If not are there any other alternatives apart from removing all the chip board etc and inserting plaster board. Simply over boarding is not straightforward as it will encroach on the new door architrave.

Thanks in advanced Davey
andymac 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:
Melamine ? Kitchen unit type chipboard.?

For some reason I have always found that PVA is tough to get off kitchen units....

Try some PVA on it overnight
Post edited at 22:34
windjammer 16 Feb 2015

take the architrave off the frame,nail a timber lath around the frame,plaster board the wall,skim,then re-fit the architrave
 birdie num num 16 Feb 2015

Dob a bit of filler on it. Bish bash bosh, job done.
In reply to andymac:

Yeh looks like ex kitchen cupboards
In reply to windjammer:

Sounds like a good work around to get a robust finish. Thanks

Cheers Davey
 buzby 17 Feb 2015

your other half does diy when you are away climbing abroad, your just asking this to show of how lucky you are, aren't you ?
In reply to buzby:

Ah, I call it time off for good behaviour! Plus I now have no excuse not to get on with sorting out the plastering, fitting skirting board, painting walls / ceiling and rehanging 3 doors.....

If you call that lucky, then I am!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...