UKC

Top Gear dam stunt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kimono 17 Feb 2015
Jesus Mr Hammond, self-winching a Landy up an almost vertical dam face??
That took big balls sir!

balmybaldwin 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:
Did look a little scary, but I suspect there was some form of safety line on it.

But hammond does seem to have reasonably big cajones given what he's got up to in the past
Post edited at 19:39
OP Kimono 17 Feb 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

you may be right, but i couldn't see a safety

cojones indeed
 woppo 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

he was wearing a harness but he'd have to make a quick exit from the landy
 wilkie14c 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

I'd have thought they'd have ran several tests with more weight in the landy and safety lines etc to 'prove' it. Bet we'd all shit our pants doing it ourselves though, all those creaks and groans...
 snoop6060 17 Feb 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

He is still an absolute cock tho.
 timjones 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

> Jesus Mr Hammond, self-winching a Landy up an almost vertical dam face??

> That took big balls sir!

If the winch and cable are rated for the job then it takes no bigger balls than you need to trust your brakes at 70mph on the motorway.
 jkarran 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Does it take big balls to ab off the top of Tremadog?

jk
OP Kimono 18 Feb 2015
In reply to timjones:

> If the winch and cable are rated for the job then it takes no bigger balls than you need to trust your brakes at 70mph on the motorway.

bullsh@t
you do it then if its so easy.
Fear is in the mind and my mind would have struggled with that, I'm not ashamed to admit
 TMM 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Was anyone else struck by the irrelevance of the stunt as a 'tribute' to the Land Rover?

The winch could have been attached to a Ford Focus or garden shed and the result would have been the same.

Yes, I am aware of the TV advert but why pay tribute to the advert rather than the machine?
 timjones 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

> bullsh@t

Steady on it's just an opinion. It's no more bullsh!t than the opinion you expressed in the OP. I'm sure his balls are roughly the same size as everyone elses

I've not seen it yet but I bet he made every effort to appear scared.

> you do it then if its so easy.

If it was cheap I might, given that it isn't cheap I can think of a load of other more exciting things that I'd spend the money on first.

> Fear is in the mind and my mind would have struggled with that, I'm not ashamed to admit

Some people think rollercoasters are scary but if you focus on the workings of them they are pretty tame. The fact that I tend to see the reality and find them boring does not mean that I have big balls or that I am somehow braver than those who find them scary IMO.
 timjones 18 Feb 2015
In reply to TMM:

> Was anyone else struck by the irrelevance of the stunt as a 'tribute' to the Land Rover?

> The winch could have been attached to a Ford Focus or garden shed and the result would have been the same.

> Yes, I am aware of the TV advert but why pay tribute to the advert rather than the machine?

It has relevance in as much as extreme winch challenges are probably one of the toughest events that Land Rovers are used for. A more realistic challenge might have involved replicating my efforts to feed the sheep on an extremely rainy and muddy day, but that wouldn't make such good telly.

You could probably attach a winch to Ford Focus but attaching one to a LR is pretty much a straight bolt-on job as they are designed for it. A Ford Focus would require considerably more work and even then the wheels may fall off if the terrain was too extreme
 PeterM 18 Feb 2015
In reply to timjones:

> I've not seen it yet but I bet he made every effort to appear scared.

It was piss poor TV and an appalling tribute to the venerable Landrover. It took absolutely no balls as it had been health and saftey'd up the arse. Your granny could've done it. You're not missing anything so don't waste your time - do something useful like shave your feet, sleep, evacuate your bowels, any of which would be more rewarding than watching that pish .
 deepsoup 18 Feb 2015
In reply to timjones:

Bullshit. (Not you - I was just checking to see if the UCK swearmangler lets it through.)

I'm sure the stunt with the Landy was less scary for Hammond than when he soloed Saul's Arete with a Morrison's shopping trolley in tow.
 robert-hutton 18 Feb 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Do you really think the BBC would let anyone do it if he was at any risk, it's not real life you know just make believe.
OP Kimono 18 Feb 2015
In reply to timjones:

Haha, i had a feeling you hadn't seen it

Whether it was 'health and safeteyed up the arse' or not, if you see it I'm sure if you were honest, you would admit that it was probably pretty hairy....all the creaking and groaning and the lifting of the front wheels away from the dam.

ps as an aside, are we allowed to swear on UKC now?? bollocks for example?
Clauso 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

I've done exactly the same thing in a Robin Reliant. Piece of piss.
 deepsoup 18 Feb 2015
In reply to robert-hutton:
Do you find you sometimes struggle to identify sarcasm? :O)
 richprideaux 18 Feb 2015
In reply to robert-hutton:

Yes, because there has been absolutely no history of Richard Hammond being seriously injured whilst filming for a BBC show.
 Dax H 18 Feb 2015
In reply to timjones:

If he was acting it was one of the finest bits of acting I have ever seen. I believe he was terrified and though I have done some properly silly and dangerous stuff in my time I think it would have been scary too.

robert-hutton 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Dax H:

Yes it was a but like watching Dr Who being chased by the daleks the look on the actors face after the tenth take plus editing made it almost realistic.
 jkarran 18 Feb 2015
For a bunch of folk used to hanging about on ropes I'm surprised to see the way this thread is going.

jk
 FactorXXX 18 Feb 2015
In reply to woppo:

he was wearing a harness but he'd have to make a quick exit from the landy

That was probably done so that if the Landy got 'crag fast', the rescue team wouldn't have to faff about putting a harness on him before retrieving him independent of the Landy itself.
Very much doubt it would do much if the winch or cable catastrophically failed!
 FactorXXX 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Probably similar to that heart stopping moment when a bit of gear slips by less than a millimetre when you're on a hanging belay...
 Trangia 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Hammond is only a short *rse. He doesn't weigh very much!
 timjones 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

> Haha, i had a feeling you hadn't seen it

> Whether it was 'health and safeteyed up the arse' or not, if you see it I'm sure if you were honest, you would admit that it was probably pretty hairy....all the creaking and groaning and the lifting of the front wheels away from the dam.

So if I watch it and don't think it was pretty hairy I'm dishonest. Do you always have trouble accepting that others may not share your views?

If you're on a winch cable why would the front wheels lifting scare you¿

FactorXXX 18 Feb 2015
In reply to timjones:

If you're on a winch cable why would the front wheels lifting scare you¿

You could say the same thing about doing a bridge jump, etc. you know in theory the rope won't snap, but there is still a nagging worry before you actually jump.
 Andy Say 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

To the OP. I feel that you may have mispunctuated your thread title?
Surely - 'Top Gear? Damn Stunt!'
 timjones 18 Feb 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:
> I'd have thought they'd have ran several tests with more weight in the landy and safety lines etc to 'prove' it. Bet we'd all shit our pants doing it ourselves though, all those creaks and groans...

Are you sure the creaks and groans weren't sound effects that were added later
Post edited at 20:33
OP Kimono 18 Feb 2015
In reply to timjones:

> So if I watch it and don't think it was pretty hairy I'm dishonest. Do you always have trouble accepting that others may not share your views?

not at all....

do you always have strong views on other things that you haven't actually seen??
 wintertree 18 Feb 2015
In reply to timjones:

> If you're on a winch cable why would the front wheels lifting scare you¿

It'd get into my head that the car's going to keep rotating and flip - totally unphysical but if you're already sh-tting bricks it's not going to help!

More practically, without steering you've got no way to weave left/right to ensure even winding of the cable onto the drum.
Post edited at 23:51
 balmybaldwin 19 Feb 2015
In reply to wintertree:

I would think a winch like that would be self guiding
Lusk 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

If I was on his salary, I'd do it.
Mind you, I'd quite happily do it for nowt anyway!
 deepsoup 19 Feb 2015
In reply to timjones:
> Are you sure the creaks and groans weren't sound effects that were added later

I've not seen it, but if they were any good that was almost certainly the case. It's *much* easier to recreate convincing creaks and groans in the studio then overdub them than it is to record them in situ (and the results are usually a lot more convincing).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_artist
 timjones 19 Feb 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> I've not seen it, but if they were any good that was almost certainly the case. It's *much* easier to recreate convincing creaks and groans in the studio then overdub them than it is to record them in situ (and the results are usually a lot more convincing).

I watched it last night. The sound effects were appallingly bad, nothing like the sounds that you would hear in the situation depicted in the programme.
 timjones 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Of course not, but sometimes the scenario is so transparent that you don't need to see it.
 timjones 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

> not at all....

> do you always have strong views on other things that you haven't actually seen??

Of course not, but sometimes the situation is so transparent that you don't need to see it.

For the record I did watch it last night and I stand by everything I've said.
 timjones 19 Feb 2015
In reply to wintertree:

> It'd get into my head that the car's going to keep rotating and flip - totally unphysical but if you're already sh-tting bricks it's not going to help!

> More practically, without steering you've got no way to weave left/right to ensure even winding of the cable onto the drum.

Looking at the way that the cable was so evenly laid onto the drum there is no way they achieved that by steering the vehicle with radio guidance from a guy with binoculars at the top of the dam. That winch must have had a self guide.
 Timmd 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono: & timjones

Lets have an argument on the internet.
 Timmd 19 Feb 2015
In reply to timjones:

> I watched it last night. The sound effects were appallingly bad, nothing like the sounds that you would hear in the situation depicted in the programme.

How do you know that?

OP Kimono 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> & timjones

> Lets have an argument on the internet.

about topgear? hmm, i think ill pass on that
 timjones 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Timmd:
> & timjones

> Lets have an argument on the internet.

I'd prefer to call it a discussion

I find it interesting that climbers think that you need "big balls" to do this. It's just like abseiling, if you know the strength of all the components in the system and set it up correctly you know that its safe and therefore it's not scary.
Post edited at 09:01
 timjones 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> How do you know that?

Did you think they were realistic?

To someone who has spent a reasonable amount of time working on Land Rovers and other vehicles they sounded seriously implausible. I'd suggest that they were stock sound effects used for everything from creaking submarine hulls to collapsing bridges and buildings.
 Skyfall 20 Feb 2015
This is a great example of UKC and why people give up with it. Take a silly programme (the 1st Top Gear I've watched in several years) and I find myself thinking all the above thoughts in a fairly mild way i.e. looks a bit scary being trapped inside a car on a winch going up a dam but hey I spend my time trusting my life to small pieces of metal and rope and surely those sounds are effects and the winch is winding too perfectly for it not to be automatic and HSE is all over this anyway. Oh, and isn't Hammond a bit of a tw*t, don't believe the acting scared routine but he does have form of these things going wrong....

I had those thoughts whilst watching it but I didn't decide to have an argument about it with random people on the internet.

This thread might have been interesting if someone involved with the prog itself stepped forwards...
 timjones 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

> This is a great example of UKC and why people give up with it.

You may be right about some peoples motives for giving up with UKC but it probably says as much about those who give up as it does about those who persevere. You don't leave a cosy pub because you don't want to join in with the conversation that is happening at the far end of the bar.

If this thread isn't your cup of tea there is a really enthralling one about coffee adverts just over there
 Mike Stretford 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Skyfall:
> This is a great example of UKC and why people give up with it. Take a silly programme (the 1st Top Gear I've watched in several years) and I find myself thinking all the above thoughts in a fairly mild way i.e. looks a bit scary being trapped inside a car on a winch going up a dam but hey I spend my time trusting my life to small pieces of metal and rope and surely those sounds are effects and the winch is winding too perfectly for it not to be automatic and HSE is all over this anyway. Oh, and isn't Hammond a bit of a tw*t, don't believe the acting scared routine but he does have form of these things going wrong....

> I had those thoughts whilst watching it but I didn't decide to have an argument about it with random people on the internet.

It isn't a UKC thing, there's silly banter all over the internet.... at least on UKC it's relatively polite most of the time. If you don't like the way a thread is going just use the 'back' button.

Tim's pub analogy is good, and timely, I heard some people having a similar discussion to this the other day, in a pub.

Back on topic.... it seemed genuine, with the swivel engine (nice), though obviously they ramped up the drama.... I don't think we saw the real rigging. My actual thoughts watching it were they wouldn't put him in any real danger after what he and his family have been through.
Post edited at 10:26
 Dave Garnett 20 Feb 2015
In reply to timjones:

> To someone who has spent a reasonable amount of time working on Land Rovers and other vehicles they sounded seriously implausible. I'd suggest that they were stock sound effects used for everything from creaking submarine hulls to collapsing bridges and buildings.

Top Gear ceased to contain very much that was factual a long time ago. Pretty much everything is faked and/or stage managed. I've given up with it.
Soren Lorenson 20 Feb 2015
In reply to PeterM:

If Top Gear up their team to four you should apply.
You have all the requisite character traits.
 Yanis Nayu 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I remember being a bit miffed when it dawned on me how staged it had become, but now I just watch it as a piece of comedy and generally enjoy it. The bit they did on the ambulances the other week made me almost cry with laughter.
Bogwalloper 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Mike Stretford:

>

> Tim's pub analogy is good, and timely, I heard some people having a similar discussion to this the other day, in a pub.

>

Pub analogy doesn't work for me.
In the pubs I frequent pub bores and gobshites are just ridiculed and noisy little brats are usually chucked out.

Boggy

PeterM 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Soren Lorenson:

> If Top Gear up their team to four you should apply.

> You have all the requisite character traits.

- What do you mean? My old age, bad hair, and how funny I think I am? No I think there are enough tw*ts like that on the tv already. You're obviously a big Hammond fan and obviously admire his huge balls ..in doing this oh so scary and death defying stunt. Sorry to have offended you.
 timjones 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Bogwalloper:

> Pub analogy doesn't work for me.

> In the pubs I frequent pub bores and gobshites are just ridiculed and noisy little brats are usually chucked out.

Ridiculing people who don't share your view may work in small locals where you know everyone and they know you. It quite rightly isn't going to go down very well if you do it to someone that you don't know in a busy Wetherspoons. You may well be able to join in with conversations at the bar or at nearby tables, but I wouldn't advise you to take the piss out of conversations being held by random strangers.

PeterM 20 Feb 2015
 Mike Stretford 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Bogwalloper:

> Pub analogy doesn't work for me.

> In the pubs I frequent pub bores and gobshites are just ridiculed and noisy little brats are usually chucked out.

Sound a bit Royston Vasey!

I find most people are 'live and let live', and will happily ignore a conversation they are mildly irritated by, rather than be compelled to intervene in some way.
OP Kimono 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

i certainly wasn't arguing....me and Tim are good mates eh Tim?

A bit of banter about a silly tv prog because the weather's shite out....as i said before, i have far better things to actually fight about!

Now, where were we.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...