UKC

Insulating a Kangoo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dervey 19 Feb 2015
So, it looks like I now have a Kangoo van with side door.

How would one go about insulating this, as the first stage in a micro van conversion?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I shall post pictures when I can.
 butteredfrog 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:

Last van we insulated (after much research) used wool based loft insulation with a plastic vapour barrier over the top, followed by thin ply liner (self tappers into panel stiffeners).
 MonkeyPuzzle 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:

I read this as 'Insulting a kangaroo'. I apologise. Not to kangaroos though, the horrible furry dickheads.
Jim C 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:

Can you not just securely fasten a ply liner with holes over the main voids and inject a expanding insulating foam (then cap the holes) .

Or am I just lazy?
 robal 19 Feb 2015
In reply to butteredfrog:

> Last van we insulated (after much research) used wool based loft insulation with a plastic vapour barrier over the top, followed by thin ply liner (self tappers into panel stiffeners).

what this guy said, but I'd put dynamat on to the metal before the wool insulation, it'll make it warmer and quieter.....

you could use Eco wool, its recycled stuff but pretty nice!
 Dark-Cloud 19 Feb 2015
In reply to robal:

I really struggle to understand all this mega insulation lark, don't get me wrong my T5 is done but a canvas pop up roof and huge expanses of glass are kind of working against you for thermal losses stake......
 LastBoyScout 19 Feb 2015
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> I read this as 'Insulting a kangaroo'.

So did I - I nearly started a parody thread

> I apologise. Not to kangaroos though, the horrible furry dickheads.

I wouldn't go that far, but wallabies are much nicer.
 butteredfrog 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

It's more to control/reduce condensation than for warmth.
OP Dervey 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:

Thanks for the replies. I had to check I hadn't inadvertently created a thread to upset marsupials.
 buzby 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:

I read this as 'Insulting a kangaroo'

that's weird I did as well. mind games?
 Billhook 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:

I bought the foil/bubble wrap combination from a builder's merchant for my van and cut it into pusable panel sized bits which I then used spray on adhesive to get them to stick to the van on the inside. I did it double thickness and now there's virtually no condensation and as a bonus, less noise/drumming from the back too.
OP Dervey 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:

Has anyone used anything like this?
http://www.westcountrycampervans.co.uk/small-van-insulation-and-carpet-kit-...

Thinking I might go for it, with some sound insulation they also sell. Any experiences?
 The Potato 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:

I really need to read thread titles properly, or perhaps the coffee hasnt kicked in yet.
I read this as Insulting a Kangaroo, and was groaningly expecting the punchline to be ...which made it hopping mad

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Feb 2015

> I read this as 'Insulting a kangaroo'. I apologise. Not to kangaroos though, the horrible furry dickheads.

Me too - had to do a double-take!

Chris
OP Dervey 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:
Anyone?
 Wsdconst 22 Feb 2015
I read exactly the same thing,I'm really disappointed to be honest I always wondered the best way to insult a kangaroo. airtec foil bubble wrap is good, easy to use not fiddly and doesn't make you itch.its quite cheap too I used it in a shipping container and it worked really well.
 JuanTinco 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:

We're just finishing off a vivaro. Kept it pretty basic, stuffed standard loft insulation in the indents in the doors and walls and then thin plywood over the top. The floor is a large block of 3mm ply, insulation, then 10mm ply on the top, adds a bit of weight but keeps it pretty warm. From my experience that carpet is a bit of a nightmare, i've just got the end of a real and cut it to shape. Saying all that if you've got a bit of patience (and more skill) you could get a nice finish with the stretchy stuff.

I'll add some pics tomorrow if i remember
m0unt41n 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Ditto - its something about the brain doesn't read words or letters but instead looks at the shape of the word and tries to image recognise that against common word shapes. Thus Kangaroo instead of Kangoo and I guess Insulting rather than Insulating. I think it is also the reason why odd, unusual or unfamiliar type faces are hard work since I assume we have to actually form a word from the individual letters by reading them rather than just the overall shape.

Anyhow back to Skippy....

Mikkel 23 Feb 2015

Me too, and i think i have done that, i told around 100 of them that they had a face like an ugly horse.
OP Dervey 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:

So,

I'm currently thinking:
Layer of foil bubble type insulation glued to body
Kingspan(?) sheet type in recesses
Another layer of foil
Ply
Carpet

Any thoughts? Overkill? Takes up too much space? Is ply really necessary on sides?

Thanks
 Toerag 27 Feb 2015
In reply to Dervey:

If you want insulation that's not itchy then the B&Q recycled plastic bottle stuff is great. I'd guess you wouldn't want to use that sort of thing as it will get shaken down into the bottom of the gaps though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...