UKC

Grivel Tech Machine durability/idiot-proofness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 19 Feb 2015
Thanks to Greg Boswell and Richard Bentley for their views on the Tech Machines (http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=608814) Could they or others comment on how tough they think the tools are? Given that I weigh 90kg (may have eaten too many pies) I could do with something pretty bombproof for mixed work. The Fusions sound like a good option in that regard, while quite a few folk seem to have had problems with the Nomics. Given that I'm fairly new to all this, I reckon I'll make a few rookie errors in terms of over-torquing the tools, so extra toughness would be useful!

Currently climbing with Quarks which I'd plan to keep.
 ianstevens 19 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

> Currently climbing with Quarks

Why not just keep doing that and save £300?

cb294 19 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

I use the older Matrix techs, and weigh about 100kg in my undies. If the tech machines are anything like the same build quality you should be fine. Shoul I need a pair of tools with offset handles I will definitely stick with Grivel.

CB
 Greg Boswell 19 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

The Tech Machines are super durable! They are a T rated tool, therefore every aspect of the tool is rated to 400kg's of force. Regardless of your weight or mine, I have put these tools well and truly through there paces and they have come out on top! I have even had them in a vice to test certain things with pulleys, and they are well and truly bombproof! The pick is one of the best and well crafted blades on the market and you would need to be doing something seriously wrong if you made this thing of beauty default.

I would highly recommend the tool to anyone wanting a good all round axe and peace of mind.

I hope this helps and feel free to message me personally if you want any further info or advice.

Greg
Climber Phil 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Greg Boswell: how would you compare them against the masters or forces Greg

Removed User 19 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
Hi
Grivel have long been regarded as making the most robust / bombproof picks out.
Iv'e bust Nomics and Cassin picks and axe heads in the past but never a Grivel tool. I would stack the tech's physically against any other tool out there and expect them to come through shining.

Richard
 Wee Davie 19 Feb 2015
In reply to adamarchie:
No disrespect to Greg Boswell intended here. Maybe he's absolutely right and the Grivels are the best tools. However, you can't expect sponsored climbers to be totally objective about gear they are given/ paid to use on a public forum.
Post edited at 21:09
OP Tricadam 19 Feb 2015
In reply to Greg Boswell:

Thanks for the replies, folks! Have seen from the pictures that these axes have been working rather well for you recently, Greg!

Looking forward shortly to being Mr all the gear, no idea!
 Andy Clark 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Richard and Wee Davie:
I recall two phrases that may give further insight:
'a poor craftsman blames his tools' and 'the important factor is not the tool, it's who's swinging it'.
I think most modern tools are very good indeed, but i think that they all have subtle differences that may suit one swinger or hooker more than another. I've recently bought new tools (shinier and fancier) they are better in some cases and worse in others - I'm going to have to adjust my techniques to get the best out of them. It's hard to say that one tool will suit everyone perfectly - I'm sure manufacturers try to achieve this.
cheers Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...