UKC

No Public Access - Tintern Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous @ Tintern Quarry 20 Feb 2015
I have been requested by the landowner at Tintern Quarry to inform all members of the public, and in particular climbers, of the following:-

There appear to be a number of internet references to climbing being permitted at Tintern Quarry. This is categorically not the case. This is a privately owned property with absolutely no public access permitted and this is clearly signed on site. Any person found within the site will be reported to the local authority. Trespass will be taken very seriously, due to the health and safety risks. We would be very grateful if you could inform all other climbing organisations and individuals.
 Cheese Monkey 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Anonymous @ Tintern Quarry:

Why is it not permitted?
 Neil Williams 20 Feb 2015
> There appear to be a number of internet references to climbing being permitted at Tintern Quarry. This is categorically not the case. This is a privately owned property with absolutely no public access permitted and this is clearly signed on site. Any person found within the site will be reported to the local authority.

...who will be able to do nothing, as trespass is not a criminal offence.

FWIW, though, the landowner has that right if it's his land, though enforcing trespass is not that easy.

Neil
Post edited at 13:22
 Mark Kemball 20 Feb 2015

Who are you "anonymous"(no profile)? Why are you posting here? This information is already available on the BMC regional database. https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/ViewCrag.aspx?id=521
 bigbobbyking 20 Feb 2015

There are some interesting comments from the BMC on the crag page: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=52 Aparrently there were some problems back in September. No report as to what the outcome was.
 Fatclimber 20 Feb 2015

This would have far more credence and possible impact, if it was announced by the BMC after negotiations with the landowner, rather than an anonymous posting.
 Rick Sewards 20 Feb 2015

As noted in one of the replies above, the British Mountaineering Council’s (BMC) regional database of access to cliffs in England and Wales – https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/ViewCrag.aspx?id=521 states that the landowners do not wish to allow climbing, and anyone doing so may be asked to leave. This webpage sets out the “official” BMC guidance on climbing at Tintern Quarry and appears to accurately reflect the current position.

If you are in contact with the landowners of Tintern Quarry, I would be very grateful if you could let them know that the BMC Access Officer (Rob Dyer) and I would still like the opportunity to meet with the landowners (either on site or at a location of their choice) to discuss their concerns. A meeting was agreed in principle in the autumn when this issue first arose but I have not had any further communication to arrange a specific date. If you or the landowner would like to email me through this forum (or through my email address from the previous correspondence) then I would be very happy to help arrange a meeting.

Rick Sewards
BMC Wye Valley Access Representative
 marsbar 20 Feb 2015

Perhaps you could ask the landowners to consider that a willing participant in an activity such as climbing is not owed the same duty of care as the general public, as they are deemed to have accepted the risk associated with the sport. Health and safety or concerns of being held responsible for injuries should not be a concern causing climbing to be banned.

I think its the occupiers liability act 1957.
 solomonkey 21 Feb 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Got to be more dangerous than driving on the motorway , I saw a report last week which said thousands of people where killed in quarrys last year , yet only one person was killed driving , ,
or was it the other way round ,,, or am I just talking shite like more and more so called UK landowners !!!
 Cheese Monkey 21 Feb 2015
In reply to Colza:

Its utterly ridiculous isn't it. Anyone climbing in a quarry is aware of the risks, the guide for Tintern in particular couldn't be more clearer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...