UKC

Fingers Ridge...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 21 Feb 2015
... was blacker than a Ugandan coal mine yesterday and today but was climbed in full winter kit.

Fluted Buttress Direct was ascended in conditions as black as a witch's hat today also. Both are great routes and I hope the ascentionists get a chance to climb them in wintery looking conditions.
 planetmarshall 21 Feb 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

I find that if you don't worry about what conditions other people climb routes in, your blood pressure stays down and you may live a longer, happier life.
 glaramara 21 Feb 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

The guy has a fine eye for a simile though
 Rich W Parker 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

I believe The Hurting saw some action too. It was a nice golden brown.
 machine 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:
Ive got a few photo,s of fingers ridge from yesterday. From what I could see some folk climbing it had put both of their tools away and were climbing using their hands .
Post edited at 10:48
 Offwidth 22 Feb 2015
In reply to planetmarshal

Daft attitude. If we want to preserve routes as best we can some sort of ethical pressure is a necessity. It perfectly possible to express disapproval of poor practice (and hence help educate) without risking a stroke.
 planetmarshall 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

I daresay the mountain will withstand a few marginal ascents and the disapproval of the internet.
 Gazlynn 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
Leave the poor guy alone. I sympathise with these people who have to travel miles and find their chosen climb no in nick

Cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 14:18
 LakesWinter 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Gazlynn:

I have no sympathy! Take what you're given, if it's not frozen don't climb etc etc etc
 Gazlynn 22 Feb 2015
In reply to LakesWinter:
I was being a little sarcastic (profile says planetmarshall stays pretty local) and I agree with you.

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 14:43
 LakesWinter 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Gazlynn:

Cool, cheers to you too and enjoy the rest of the season
In reply to Gazlynn:

Sarcastic or otherwise, your sympathy is not required. I was not on Fingers Ridge on Fri.
 Gazlynn 22 Feb 2015

My Bad..... Sorry I presumed you was.

cheers

Gaz
In reply to Gazlynn:

Nae bother, I was in the Coire an Lochain at the time dodging avalanche debris.
 Mark020 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

What do you mean "preserve" them?

Cheers,
Mark
 StuLade 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

I believe the hurting got a bit more serious action today. Had a bit more than a sugar coating.
 Tricadam 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

> If we want to preserve routes as best we can some sort of ethical pressure is a necessity.

It's got to be true that gardening unfrozen turf will remove/kill it. However, if we're thinking strictly in terms of route preservation, the rock tends to get considerably more scratched up when covered by anything that won't solidly take a crampon (i.e. powder, hoar, rime, thin/cruddy ice, thin neve etc.) than when totally bare. Of course, I'm not proposing a dry-tool-the-classics sesh - there are plenty of good aesthetic reasons for climbing in wintry conditions, the key one being that we like winter! - but I am saying that the "don't damage the rock" thing just doesn't add up.

(Not that this is anything that hasn't been said before a thousand times on here and elsewhere, no doubt!)
 Robert Durran 22 Feb 2015

You are absolutely right. If people want to put a few more scratches on winter trade routes which don't happen to be superficially white at the time then it is difficult to see what the problem is.
 Rich W Parker 22 Feb 2015
In reply to StuLade:

So I saw.
 TobyA 22 Feb 2015
In reply to StuLade:

> I believe the hurting got a bit more serious action today. Had a bit more than a sugar coating.

Yep, saw the pics - looked suitably mental and proper wintery. Although the close up pic of Ines' face made it look more than a little soggy out there!
 Simon Yearsley 22 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA: Very very wintery on The Hurting this morning. Very very cold. Very very white. Very very frozen. Very very snowy and windy too - I lost sight of Ines on at least three occasions as the maelstrom enveloped her and the ropes were blown in a scary scary arc. Impressive ascent in impressively challenging conditions.

JohnnyW 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Simon Yearsley:

Blimey.

It was bad enough trying to practice winter skills 15m from the Ciste carpark yesterday morning, let alone climb, and at that grade!

'Respec', as I believe the kids would say....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...