UKC

Drivdalen (Oppdal) climbing conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The old Oppdal thread is locked now.

Was running a ice-climbing course in Drivdalen (Oppdal) last weekend. Quite dry, with not much snow, but amazingly many of the icefalls where formed. We only climbed at some roadside venues (by the E6). Conditions where good. Some dinner plating, but generally okay. Kongsvoll-fossen looked complete. Very little snow if any on it.

Some the higher classic look formed as well.

I was really impressed with Drivdalen. Lots to go at. Really good guide book as well.
 Mr. Lee 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:

This is encouraging to read as heading to Oppdal this weekend. Doesn't look like much new snow this week.

Yes, it's a beautiful guidebook. Almost too good to take on the hill.
 GarethSL 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:

Vinstradalen is also in excellent condition

Mr. Lee 26 Feb 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

Noted! Quite likely I'll be checking it out.

Know of any reliable ice West of Oppdal along highway 70?
 GarethSL 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Ishoel is that way, as is Andy Kapp, Svinfallet and some other good lines that normally are quite reliable. But as for actual conditions I wouldn't know, If you plan to go that way I would call VPG, the guys there should be clued up on the routes that direction
 Mr. Lee 03 Mar 2015
In reply to Valdres Fjellguider:

Was in Oppdal at the weekend. Really good conditions as previously mentioned. Little snow so it was really easy to assess the ice conditions from the road. Seemed like a lot more ice than when I was there in Jan? We wanted to climb Tøftfossen on Saturday but the cornice looked too large (photo in the link below). We headed to Hesthåggån instead where all the routes were in good condition. Then Sunday we headed to Vinstradalen, where there was equally good ice, although didn't venture beyond the first handful of routes. Passop is really difficult to just walk past! Some photos and stuff here from Saturday. Sunday to follow:

http://leeharrisonclimbing.blogspot.no/2015/02/hesthaggan-oppdal.html
 Mr. Lee 04 Mar 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Vinstradalen on Sunday.

http://leeharrisonclimbing.blogspot.no/2015/03/vinstradalen-oppdal.html

Didn't get beyond the first handful of routes but I suspect this happens to everyone on their first visit here. Good to climb away from the E6 in somewhere a bit more secluded.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...