UKC

crowberry gully conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anyones input on current conditions on crowberry gully?
 Jamie B 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Matthew Martin Wsm:

I wouldn't got there for a few days.

http://www.sais.gov.uk/glencoe/
 Jim Haydock 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

Noooooooo - wait till it consolidates. Too much new stuff lately
 Jamie B 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Jim Haydock:

That's what I said. Maybe reply to the OP?

were heading up march 15th to climb the 16th was just scoping it out

thanks for the advice guys, hoping plenty of freeze thaw in next couple of weeks, then be in nick!
 planetmarshall 26 Feb 2015

I wouldn't worry so far ahead of time. It could go from gone to fat to gone again in that time
In reply to planetmarshall:

just gonna keep an eye on it, hopefully will still be there!
Removed User 26 Feb 2015
The unstable snowpack from a couple of days ago has undergone a big change in the last 24hrs. We did Curved ridge today and peeked into the gully, it looked fine. Did not look into it from the bottom but the crux ice wall looked thin from a distance due to last nights thaw. The only issue is small pockets of fresh windslab which was not significant today. Some details here.
http://www.mountainmotion.co.uk/blog/winter-mountaineering-and-avalanche-de...

any news from the weekend any ascents
 Jim Haydock 01 Mar 2015

Snowing at Shap at the moment 😜

any news? were heading up a week today!
 Jamie B 08 Mar 2015

Based on the weather reports which I'm sure you will have been following, what do you think yourself?
 Billhook 08 Mar 2015

If you're coming up anyway you see the route from the road. As others have said, it could be fine and complete now, in perfect condition. But it might not be in several days time.

just interested in any knowledge lads, i know its a lottery!
 Billhook 08 Mar 2015

Plenty of historical knowledge. But not future knowledge.
 Jamie B 09 Mar 2015

It's not a lottery, it's a series of evidence-based decisions. Pinning all your hopes on one route being in condition is really not the way to enjoy winter climbing. Wait till you get here, then assess the conditions and take it from there - plenty of other routes in Glencoe which may be more suitable, especially under fresh snow or after a thaw.
 Phil1919 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

I think he means the condition of Crowberry gully in 10 days time is a lottery as it is dependent on the vagaries of the English weather. You make it sound like he won't use his judgement on arrival. People who work 9-5 down south and shoot up for weekends tend to keep a strong objective in mind as it gives them hope whilst waiting for the weekend to come. Thats half the benfit of the trip.
 studgek 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

Why is Crowberry Gully dependent on the vagaries of the English weather?
 planetmarshall 09 Mar 2015
In reply to studgek:

Chaos theory 'n that.
 planetmarshall 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

> People who work 9-5 down south and shoot up for weekends tend to keep a strong objective in mind as it gives them hope whilst waiting for the weekend to come.

This is not a good thing, and is one of the 'heuristic traps' that occur in evaluating avalanche conditions. Keep your options open, be less single minded and you'll be less likely to end up in a needlessly dangerous situation.

im very open minded to other routes just fancied crowberry gully, were more likely heading for ben nevis for whatever is best in nick at the time, its slightly higher too!
 Phil1919 09 Mar 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Of course it isn't but they don't stick to their plan of weeks ahead when they arrive necessarily. The thought of a particular route keeps them motivated to make the long drive. A bit like Mick Fowler of old, driving repeatedly until he got what he wanted in condition.

As to the English weather, well I asked for that one didn't I!

i plan to be persistent its a tick i want!

Brilliant Mate! Hope u get it I waited a few years to finally get on it and I'm only 60 odd mins away from the Coe either no one to climb with or not in condition finally ticked it few weeks ago and that was with high temps at 6 degrees at the carpark
So anythings possible
 LakesWinter 10 Mar 2015
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

Once there's lots of snow in the gully it's pretty reliable. The colder temps this week and into the weekend should help, I climbed it on 20th April one year so plenty of time yet

thanks bud thats great news, hopefully its possible, hoping to do glovers chimney also on the ben will be a great two days if thats possible!
 LakesWinter 10 Mar 2015

Look at today's sais for glencoe. The gully is well full for the bottom 2/3rds but the crux pitches look broken - should reform with cold enough weather and some gentle freeze thaw - at this stage in 2008 the route was totally not in but was in very good nick a few weeks later.

im heading up sunday so maybe will have to be content with routes on the ben! thanks for advice though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...