UKC

Piper to the End - Mark Knopfler

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 25 Feb 2015

Its been Estblished (I believe) that Knopfler ,and Dire Straits are not cool

I disagree ,and don't care.

Piper to the End ,from some of his more recent stuff is a thing of beauty.

I can't do YouTube links as I don't have an account (I gave up trying) ,but if someone could post a link ,I would be most grateful.

"Piper to the End Live". Link has Knopfler in a white shirt

Cheers
Post edited at 20:03
 John Ww 25 Feb 2015
In reply to andymac:

"In my Shangri La" with Emmylou Harris is my current rave, just brilliant.

JW
Removed User 25 Feb 2015
In reply to andymac:

I think Dire Straits is the issue. Knopfler is surely knocking on the doors of cool now he's ditched the headband? He is one hell of a guitar player to be sure.
 Kimono 25 Feb 2015
In reply to andymac:

here you go:

youtube.com/watch?v=XsrKWwx3x7o&

yes, definitely cooler as he ages!
 John Ww 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:

Featuring the massively talented and all-round nice bloke John McCusker (former husband of Kate Rusby) on fiddle.

JW
 John Ww 26 Feb 2015
In reply to andymac:

And, I think, Michael McGoldrick on pipes.
 Tony the Blade 26 Feb 2015
In reply to andymac:

TBH the musical snobbery in the UK never ceases to amaze me. Dire Straits were an incredible band full of musical talent, however we the Brit public take agin any band or singer that is successful. I give you Genesis... a band that were just incredible, so much more talented than say Pink Floyd. Now I love a bit of prog rock, but became a social/musical pariah because of this. Give me Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe over 90% of the fabricated bands any day.

We have a romantic affinity with bands like the Sex Pistols (who I also like) and the Smith, yet collectively hate

Sorry, got to stop, too pissed to think this hard... night all x
andymac 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Kimono:
> here you go:

> yes, definitely cooler as he ages!

Cheers.

Great Finale.With Knopfler totally in his element

It's like he is saying ; 'it doesn't get any better than this for me'

Song has a poignant family origin behind it .I think Knopflers grandfather (a piper) was killed during one of the World wars.
Post edited at 07:52
 Kimono 26 Feb 2015
In reply to andymac:

ps Andy you know you don't need a youtube account to get the link.
Just open youtube, find the video you want and then copy and paste the URL from the bar at the top of the page
 TMM 26 Feb 2015
In reply to andymac:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=609055&v=1#x7991567

Nothing wrong with Knopfler or DS.

Knopfler has become quite prolific as he ages and his story book songs where he happy to take on the role of another character or tell a story mean that he isn't trapped into the narrative of telling his own life story which always seemed to leave him very uncomfortable a guy who's not in it for the fame.

Golden Heart and Sailing to Philadelphia are two great albums full of interesting, beautiful and crafted songs from real musical and lyrical talent.
 nickh1964 27 Feb 2015
In reply to andymac:

Yup, he is cool again, great clip of Piper to the end. Lovely.
 TMM 28 Feb 2015
In reply to andymac:

He's a artist's artist.

Look at the list of collaborators:

Bod Dylan
Eric Clapton
Tina Turner
Randy Newman
Emmylou Harris
Tom Jones
The Chietians
Van Morrison
Aztec Camera
James Taylor
Chet Atkins
Sonny Landreth

He has used Dire Straits as a base to follow his muse rather than follow fashion. What a wonderful position to be where you are so financially secure and your reputation as a player and writer is such that you can access such an interesting world.

Here is a link to an ITV Eveing with Tom Jones special. Just enjoy the playing, the emotion wrought from an inanimate object is remarkable.
youtube.com/watch?v=ANQW7V6OCPc&
 DaveHK 28 Feb 2015
In reply to TMM:

The trouble with Dire Straits is that they're just a little bit, you know, Dire Straits.
 Fishmate 28 Feb 2015
In reply to andymac:

Cool has a limit, no? Telegraph Road for example just is. It doesn't need labelling. I could go on...
 TMM 28 Feb 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Interesting are you referring to Dire Straits, or people who have Brothers in Arms in their CD collection along with a copy of Phil Collins greatest hits?
 Fishmate 28 Feb 2015
In reply to TMM:

If you are asking me, then Dire Straits per se. To my mind Collins is pop, whereas Dire Straits are more evolved and definitely in the prog category. My first love were Talking Heads and DS opened for them back in the day which is how I became aware of them via radio.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...