UKC

Bouldering pad on ryanair?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon de Leyser 02 Mar 2015
Any experiences / knowledge on taking bouldering pad as luggage on Ryanair? I have a wee 1x1m Alpkit phud... could I encase my hold luggage inside it and call it a pack..? unlikely I imagine... but then won't it cost me a fortune.....?

Thanks
J
 Aigen 02 Mar 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

be very careful here with ryanair. the bouldering mat will be classed as sports equipment. there fore you will have to pay a sports equipement charge. next all your under the airplane luggage must not exceed 15kg. combined. this is to say if you want to put 5 bags under the plane the weight of the 5 added together must not exceed 15kg. so thats 3kg per bag. it is not 15kg per bag its 15 kg for all bags together.
 mark catcher 03 Mar 2015
In reply to JonmapDL: I've taken a large pad before, put all my luggage in side it and taped it all shut. Book it in as sports equipment but don't pay for a seperate bag too. Never had a problem.

peewee2008 03 Mar 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

Put all mu kit inside the pad and taped it up and just book it in as hold luggage and they will ask you to put it through oversize luggage, done this many times with ryanair and never had an issue.
 mark catcher 03 Mar 2015
In reply to JonmapDL: As above, that's what I meant. Shrink-wrapping it seems to work well too.
 BoulderBus 03 Mar 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

I normally take all my other stuff hand luggage (normally travelling light), and book my pad in as a bag - when they ask what it is I say it is a mattress. I have never had an issue to date...
OP Jon de Leyser 03 Mar 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

Handy trick that, and good to know it works... cheers!
 henwardian 03 Mar 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

It's Ryanair.
Hope that one of the tricks other people mentioned works but bring the lube just in case.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...