UKC

Homework time! What is the most common manmade object?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 07 Mar 2015

What is the most common manmade object?
Daughter asked me this the other day and we settled on nails/screws. I personally think it's something else but couldn't give her an answer she couldn't explain should she be asked to so settled for screws or nails. I think its resistors or capacitors myself, individually there are dozens in every electronic device. Transistors tend to be part of an integrated curcuit (chip) and would outnumber transistors and capacitors millions of times. Why won't my brain stop thinking about this?
What's your guess?
Post edited at 18:39
 MG 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Grains of flour?
 lithos 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

drinks (eg coke) cans
 brianblock 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

I would say screws would be right up there, there are literally millions of them in nearly everything manmade
 DancingOnRock 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Depends on the definition of common.

Is it most often found or most of.

I would go for shoes. There are places you can go that have no nails or computers but the people wear shoes.
 gethin_allen 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Poo, I make at least 2 a day so extrapolate that out and you get over 84,000,000,000 a week. Although that assumes that women's ones are included.
OP wilkie14c 07 Mar 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

Or bog paper? However I don't think that counts as they don't made invididual sheets or even rolls, just one massive roll the cut into smaller bits. Daugherling actually suggested paper but we discussed asked it being made in one giant roll then cut down smaller later.
Shoes is a good suggestion however my house alone would wipe out 100's of houses somewhere that had shoes but no electronics when it comes to electronic components.
I'll bet bullets outnumber shoes in a few countries
 Hooo 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Plastic drinks bottles or carrier bags? Used once and remain for decades or more. Got to outnumber screws or shoes.
OP wilkie14c 07 Mar 2015
In reply to Hooo:

Another Great guess.

Lego bricks? Loom bands?
 Queenie 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Coins? Bullets? Hmmm...
 Hooo 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Another Great guess.

> Loom bands?
A good guess, based on an inspection of my house!

Trangia 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Elastic bands, paper clips, nails, staples, bullets
 FesteringSore 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Farts
 Queenie 07 Mar 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

Is a fart an object though? If so then I suggest a change of underwear..
 JJL 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Sheets of paper?
 jimtitt 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

I´d think it´s a contest between fasteners (nails/screws), bricks or sheets of paper. The circuits in a chip aren´t objects, the chip is the object, otherwise letters are going to take some beating.
 Dave the Rave 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:
Skin dust.
This must be true. I've just changed my boxers and loads flew out!
Post edited at 19:43
In reply to wilkie14c:

Plastic particles / beads - varying in size from the microbeads that you probably don't realise are in your cosmetics / toothpaste through the beads that most everyday plastic items will actually be moulded out of up to expanded polystyrene packaging.
 Brass Nipples 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Clothing.
Gone for good 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Widgets!
OP wilkie14c 07 Mar 2015
In reply to jimtitt:

Resistors and capacitors are individual objects that you can hold in your finger tips, if transistors were offered up though it is correct they are part of a chip as you say and couldn't be classed as an individual object. I bet it won't be many years before led 'bulbs' top the list, every house and car has many these days and all the gagets and Xmas tree lights....

I wonder if ppi claim firms can be classed as a man made object?
OP wilkie14c 07 Mar 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Plastic particles / beads - varying in size from the microbeads that you probably don't realise are in your cosmetics / toothpaste through the beads that most everyday plastic items will actually be moulded out of up to expanded polystyrene packaging.

Got to be the winner?!
 summo 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Buttons, nails, disposable nappies, odd socks, books, staples, ball bearings, spoons.. tough one, as it will vary across nations.
 minimike 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

CO2 molecules. ~10^20 per breath, for 20 breaths a minute for 8 billion odd humans.
 Mad Tommy 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Bricks should be up there, especially as they do cross all cultures and timeframes.
In reply to minimike:

Minimike - I did think about CO2 molecules, and then started reasoning that for each glucose molecule burned you get 6x CO2 molecules but a yeild of around 30 ATP molecules, so ATP would be a more common product than CO2.

There are probably many more biochemical molecules that are more common. However these are not just made by man but by other living organisms as well so can they be justifiably called 'Man made'?

(Quiet night shift........)
In reply to wilkie14c:

Cheap nasty carabiners made in China ?? Seem to be a lot of those on fleabay!
 flopsicle 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

I'm going for coins. I'm not that confident though. Thinking on, I think we have more pens than coins in the house.
OP wilkie14c 07 Mar 2015
In reply to flopsicle:

You need to sell some pens to balance things up a little
 minimike 07 Mar 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:
Yeah but we don't emit ATP.. Although I suppose taking this all to it's ridiculous limit the answer is photons (infrared ones).

But I don't think you can claim to have made photons, so I'll stick with co2.

I don't think it matters if animals and rocks make them too..
Post edited at 20:53
 The Lemming 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

My money is on either babies or cotton/thread/twine style stuff

Either that or its some plastic synthetic derivative.

There is also a shitload of tarmac and concrete around the world.
 Andrew Wilson 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:
Forks.
 Brass Nipples 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Socks, always go missing and need replacing.

The Lemming 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Changed my mind. I'd say that the answer is a weapon.

GarethSL 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Bread?
 Bulls Crack 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

It has to be pens since they disappear instantly necessitating exponential purchasing of replacements
In reply to wilkie14c:

> What is the most common manmade object?

Skin cells? Apparently we cast off 30,000 to 40,000 of them per minute.

The most common electronic component will be ceramic capacitors. The industry makes a trillion of them every year.

http://www.capacitorguide.com/ceramic-capacitor/
OP wilkie14c 07 Mar 2015
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> The most common electronic component will be ceramic capacitors. The industry makes a trillion of them every year.

And most of them are on my workshop floor! I can only find them with my bare feet for some reason
 wercat 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

What about sugar crystals, or flour particles?

Mountain Llama 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Ok here's a few, assuming this discounts cooking?

Bricks
Knives and forks
plastic bags
cups
plates

OP wilkie14c 07 Mar 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

I'm not sure about knives and forks at all, if everyone in the UK had 10 of each it'd still be a fraction of the number of resistors and capacitors in the same peoples mobile phone and TV remote. Plastic bags are another story though and have to be high on the list.
 JLS 07 Mar 2015
In reply to Trangia:

>"paper clips.... staples"

(number of paper clips + number or staples) < half the number of sheets of paper

I'll go for CO2 molecules.
 JJL 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

I've changed my bid.

About 400 Million Metric Tonness of paper is made worldwide each year. If cut into 8.5x11 inch sheets (A4) and at 70 gm/m2, the total number of sheets per year will be 95 trillion.

About 25 Million tonnes of cotton thread produced each year so, unless measuring by the millimetre, it's less.

50 billion lego bricks year.

However, I think the answer is transistors:

There are two big drivers, mobile phones & tablets, and PCs. 4.3 billion phones ctive on, say, 4 year replacement.

1.1 Billion mobile phones & tablets X about 100 million transistors per phone = 1.1 x 10^17 (processors, all non-memory)

About 2 GB per phone/tablet of memory (average over lots of basic phone) = 2.2 x 10^18

180 million PCs on 10 year replacement - laptops, desktops, and servers - at about 1 Billion transistors each = 1.8 X 10^16
Each with average memory of about 8 GB = 1.44 x 10^17

Everything else is minor.

By category....
Non memory transistors (processors, graphics, radio, power, etc.) 3.2 x 10 E 16 or
320 x 10^14, 32 quadrillion transistors each year.

Memory 4.24 x 10^18 or 0.424 quintillion transistors

Total 0.45 quintillion transistors (4.5 x 10^17)

My only other bid might be potable water (in litres), but I think transistors has it.
 elsewhere 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:
Transistor and capacitors or whatever computer memory is made of - billions per phone/pc/tablet/camera/memory card/usb drive so billions per person
Lusk 07 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Cigarettes, nearly 6 Trillion are made every year!

http://www.tobaccoatlas.org/industry/manufacturing/text/
In reply to minimike:

Yes, I think that has to be it!
abseil 08 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

I hate to say it* but you're all wrong.

The answer is:

Wait for it:

Chicken nuggets.

*No I don't
In reply to JJL:

> However, I think the answer is transistors:

I don't think you can count integrated transistors as separate components because they aren't separate entities. The whole chip is made at the same time in a series of steps based on patterns on photomasks, where a pattern on one layer crosses a pattern on another a transistor happens. Counting transistors on a chip as individual components would be like counting pixels in a photograph or letters in a book as individual components.

If you did want to count integrated components like transistors as individual components then most common one would be contacts - connections between layers - rather than transistors.

jimtitt 08 Mar 2015
In reply to JJL:

And how many grains of cement are in the 2 billion tons manufactured every year? Each one is a discrete, individual object.
 jkarran 08 Mar 2015
In reply to jimtitt:

Resistors are objects before they're soldered down much like screws before they're installed.

I'm going to go for fibers.

jk
In reply to wilkie14c:

Nurdles.
 felt 08 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Litter, inc Pacific vortex and the rubbish spouted online
 Shani 08 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Photons (from lightbulbs, LEDs etc...)?
 Yanis Nayu 08 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Bricks
 Billhook 08 Mar 2015
In reply to wilkie14c:

Humans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...