UKC

Castle Rock of Triermain Safety Warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kelly 07 Mar 2015
bit of an update from frcc for Castle Rock of Triermain
https://www.facebook.com/530809240304612/photos/a.530812436970959.107374182...

"The crack continues to be monitored and is opening more rapidly. This means that the whole of the north end of the North Crag is an extremely dangerous place to be. Our recommendation is that you avoid any route to the left of May Day Cracks."
 Rog Wilko 08 Mar 2015
In reply to John Kelly:

Thanks for this. Useful Facebook share?
 Bob 08 Mar 2015
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Even better, a non-Ar**ebook share
 Simon Caldwell 08 Mar 2015
In reply to John Kelly:

Thanks for that - FB decided not to tell me about it even though I'm following that page!
 goose299 08 Mar 2015
In reply to John Kelly:

Pretty sure I saw that on the BMC fb page the other day too.
Good share though
OP John Kelly 08 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

only seen it on FRCCguides FB page

nothing on BMC or BMC FB page that i can see - odd really
 goose299 08 Mar 2015
In reply to John Kelly:

Might not be BMC but I've seen it somewhere on facebook
Though I follow countless outdoors things and have numerous friends who are climbers so it could be anyone of them
 marsbar 09 Mar 2015
Castle Rock of Triermain North Crag - UPDATEThe crack continues to be monitored and is opening more rapidly. This means that the whole of the north end of the North Crag is an extremely dangerous place to be. Our recommendation is that you avoid any route to the left of May Day Cracks. Here's a revised topo to help you... NCE is the left hand dashed line; OB just to the right up the ramp.
In reply to John Kelly:

For thise not on facebook

I have to go to work now can someone put this on the ukc database if its not already.
 elliptic 09 Mar 2015
In reply to marsbar:

> I have to go to work now can someone put this on the ukc database if its not already.

I've just submitted an update for moderation.
In reply to elliptic:

Actually, I don't think that diagram is entirely correct. The area that is on the move extends at least to the line of the upper part of OB in my opinion (and that was formed after inspecting the whole area on a rope). I think that the entire top block is hinging more or less from the blue number one at the top of the line of OB downwards to join the hatched area but extends to the right of the line of the last pitch of OB in places and may well lie down the crack at the top of OB's ramp rather than the one behind the yew tree belay further left. If one imagines the whole top block as a huge door leaning against a wall then the left-hand top corner is both opening out and falling forward at the same time, while the bottom right corner is staying more or less stationary. This is why there is an ever widening crack at the top left and a number of loose flakes on the right (rather than a crack).

In response to the question, “Is it safe to climb OB?” the answer surely has to be not nearly as safe as it used to be (and quite possibly seriously dangerous - who can tell?).

Quite honestly I wouldn't want to be anywhere North Crag if this lot actually fell off in one go and wouldn't climb anything where there was a chance of being hit by falling rock from this area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...