UKC

sport climbing in switzerland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 genghis76 08 Mar 2015
Hi,
Heading off to Berne/ Grindelwald/ Zurich in April and wondered if anyone could give some advice on accessible sport climbing crags. I'm not a good climber so looking for mid-grade routes between UK and 6a. Any info would be most gratefully received.
 Ian Broome 08 Mar 2015
In reply to genghis76:

Climbed a bit at Lehn and Neuhaus near Interlaken, worth a visit.

Gastlosen is also a great day out. 45-1 hr walk in but bolted sport and multi pitch routes in an amazing setting. You can climb on either side depending on the time of year, perhaps too shaded on one side and quite high up for April. Expect to have a humbing crag to yourself!

Worth trying to track this guide down

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Books-Maps-DVDs/Foreign-Climbing-Guid...

or extrem band 1 also by filidor.

Perhaps worth driving through into Ticino Italian Swiss, as the weather is much warmer, worth considering if the weather is bad on the Interlaken side of the Gottard tunnel.

Went to a crag called Ponte Brolla which is worth a couple of days.
 full stottie 08 Mar 2015
In reply to genghis76:
Grimsel Pass lies about 80 miles South East of Interlaken - several big slabby crags here on the west side, such as Gerstenegg - Handegg on the east side of the pass is harder. Closer to Interlaken, about 20 miles, is Meiringen (home of the Reichenbach Falls and lots of Sherlock Holmes street names!). Near here are several sport crags with reasonably graded routes. I've climbed at 2 of these - Rotsteinl and Beretli. Rotsteinl was the quieter of the two. All the crags mentioned here are in the UKC logbooks.

Swiss Plaisir West is the guidebook to look for, showing lots of other crags in the area that I can't speak for. Here's a link:

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Books-Maps-DVDs/Foreign-Climbing-Guid...

Hope this helps
Dave

Forgot to add that the Grimsel Pass option depends on how much snow is up there - we went early May and had two days dry and sunny then it snowed and blocked the Pass.
Post edited at 21:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...