UKC

Plumbing: small rads in big rooms, why?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oujmik 10 Mar 2015
We're looking to buy a house right now, we've found one that we really like and we've learnt from experience with rented property that heating and insulation etc are important things to check out before making an offer. This place seems well insulated etc but we've noticed that the radiators seem very small for the sizes of the rooms (for example there is a 80cm-ish rad in a large double bedroom with lots of wall space for a bigger one). Why would this be? We've noticed a few electric heaters around so we're concerned that the central heating is poor.

We've got another viewing tonight and I'll be looking for the boiler to see if it's recent. Any other tips?
 jkarran 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

It might be that was where it was easiest to pull the pipes up.
It might be there was some furniture in the way of a bigger unit.
It might be well insulated meaning a small rad' is adequate.
It might have been cost cutting or from a cheap job lot.
The installer may have been a fool.
They may have prioritized heating other rooms with bigger rads in the days before thermostatic valves.

jk
 wintertree 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

I took some radiators out of my house - leaving one room without any - because I'd rather use less heating and wear a jumper or two, and because the space is valuable in such a small house.

Ask them to fire the heating up, listen to the boiler start up (gas or oil?) and listen to the pumps. A long screwdriver onto a pump or pipe with your ear on the handle's end is a poor mans stethoscope. How rough do they sound compared to a well maintained system?

Are all radiators hot after half an hour of running the system with thermostatic valves turned up? If not does it just need bleeding or is the flow badly set up? Is it microbore?

ByEek 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

It isn't going to be the warmest night tonight so see if the house feels nice and warm. Obviously, if it has bomber insulation it will need almost no heat input. To be fair, up grading the size of radiators in a house isn't a huge job so it shouldn't be a deal breaker unless the boiler is creaking. Ask lots of questions about it - why are there additional heaters etc. We lived in what we refer to as the "cold" house for 5 months before moving into our new house. Last winter was pretty miserable for us, especially with a new born who kept waking up because of the cold. And last winter wasn't particularly cold either!
 Neil Williams 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

A lot of people don't like overheated bedrooms. I've completely turned off the radiator in mine - airflow from the other upstairs rooms is quite enough to keep it warm enough in there.

Neil
 marsbar 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Oujmik:
Have a look at the radiators to see if they are doubles.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/CHQ22304RT.JPG

This is effectively the same as a single radiator twice as big that you might be used to seeing. http://www.home-radiators.co.uk/images/Standa4.jpg

Ask when the boiler was last serviced.

Post edited at 19:52
 gethin_allen 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

Don't worry too much about the size of radiators, this is the least of your problems when buying a house as they are really easy and cheap to replace.

Also, modern type 22 radiators (2 panels each with heat exchanger fins) really kick out the heat so a relatively small rad can heat a larger room than you think.

The plumbers put in a massive radiator in my main bedroom because they thought it was needed and all it does is annoy me because it's too bloody warm the moment it heats up and it's ugly as hell.
 balmybaldwin 10 Mar 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:
Get a thermostatic valve fitted this will solve the problem with it getting too hot - nothing can help the looks (you should not fit them to every radiator in the house though always leave a couple on standard valves)
Post edited at 20:11
 gethin_allen 10 Mar 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

It has one on it but it's like standing in front of a big fire in a cold room. If you are anywhere near it you boil but at the other side of the room it's freezing. Perhaps I need to close down the balancing valve but as it is I just turn the thing off.

If I see a deal on radiators may buy and fit a smaller one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...