UKC

North-East Buttress conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Julian Prieto 10 Mar 2015
Does anyone know what condition North-East Buttress (Ben Nevis) is in?
 masa-alpin 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Julian Prieto:
The photo yesterday (10th March): https://twitter.com/masasakano/status/575588109108273152/photo/1
As far as I saw from below, it looked fine. The approach slope was very icy.
Masa
 pass and peak 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Julian Prieto:

Was up it yesterday, was fine! only main problem was we did it via "Slingby's chimney" which was desperate on the last pitch, just vere glass and rime, so best go by the normal approach. Today and tomorrow might wash some more of the lower neve off though?. Its not fat in any of the smaller gully's and grooves on the route ect, so would say its at the higher end for its grade at the time we did it, but would certainly say its in and should be for a while yet. think I have some long range picks here https://www.facebook.com/mark.riley.524
 Wee Davie 11 Mar 2015
In reply to pass and peak:

Slingsby's was nails for the grade when we did it too. Looking at the logbooks here seems like most people feel it's a sandbag. The only thing vaguely as hard on NE Buttress itself was the Mantrap.
 Elsier 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Wee Davie:

Yes I don't recommend starting via Slingsby's!

It spoiled our day out on NE Buttress a few weeks ago, as it was not only hard, but also not protectable, so we had to bail, which was a real shame!

Glad other folk have said the same. I only wish I'd seen the comments on the UKC logbook before we set out.

NE Buttress will have to wait, I'm really hoping that conditions will hold out for a bit longer, as I can't get out this weekend.
OP Julian Prieto 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Elsier:

Thanks to everyone for your reports. Sounds like it should be doable this weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...