UKC

Cadair Idris safe small kids?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Climbyclaudie 11 Mar 2015
Been asked to Cadair Idris wth friend...I have 5 and 7 yr old who are not used to mountains, just long walks, plus baby in sling. Minffordd ....Pony Path or just remain in pub at bottom please? How many miles/hours please? Exposed path?? Cheers
 Roadrunner2 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Climbyclaudie:
If the weather is good and a stable forecast it's safe, depends how strong the kids are.

We did Snowdon as a family via Rhyd Ddu and the Ranger when we were 4,7 and 10.

The Mindfordd is more picturesque, the Pony simpler, but up the more boring side of the mountain, you don't get to really see its architecture from that side.

The minfordd is steeper and whilst not craggy is a rougher pass and traverses above cliffs, but not dangerously so.

Both around 10k up and down, 2500ft of ascent, Pony slightly less. 4-6 hours at a guess... depends how quick they walk and how many photo's/stops.

I'd go Minfordd personally.
Post edited at 11:12
 Jimbo C 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Climbyclaudie:

I'd second that the Minffordd is more interesting but steeper. Llyn Cau (about halfway en-route) is beautiful and would make for a good point to break and assess whether going all the way is ok.

If they're fit enough and will do as they're told when near cliffs then I see no reason not to go. My main concern would be if they get too tired, but only you know how likely that is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...