UKC

Which mountain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Climbyclaudie 11 Mar 2015
Beautiful mountain, not as far from Manchester as Snowdonia please? My friend wants to be in the mountains, she wants somewhere she can just go for the day?
 Jon Stewart 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Climbyclaudie:

Come on, Manchester's the best placed English city for getting to the mountains...but you still have to get in the car for an hour or two, so fine for a day trip. If you want closer than Snowdonia or the Lakes, then you're looking at moors (Lancs or Peak) not mountains.
Lusk 11 Mar 2015

Pendle Hill
 Jimbo C 11 Mar 2015

Somewhere near to Manchester but not Snowdonia or the Lakes, hmmm.

There are a few prominent hills in the Peak that you can pretend are mountains. E.g. Hen Cloud, Shutlingsloe (a.k.a. The Chesire Matterhorn!), Chrome & Parkhouse hills.

Also, you could consider the Clwddian hills just over the Welsh border. Shropshire has some nice pointy hills, but is a little further away.

Near Bolton, there's Winter Hill and Rivington Pike. Very much moorland but on a clear day you can see the Lake District stretched out in the North.
Lusk 11 Mar 2015

The only other option is Yorkshire 3 Peaks, but they can take an age to get to half the time.
 alan moore 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

Without pretence; Hen Cloud and Shuttlingslow are among the finest mountains in Britain. If not the world.😊
 Tig44 11 Mar 2015

Another vote for Clwyd. Moelfamau nice entry level mountain with good views on a fine day
Depends a bit on which side of Manchester. You can be in Snowdonia or the Lake District within 1.5-2 hours drive of Manchester so it's easily done in a day.

All the closer hills are going to be open heather moorland or grassy hills rather than a rocky mountain but some still give a 'wild' feeling.

To the West, Moel Famau as suggested above.

To the East various places in the 'Dark Peak' including Kinder Low or Bleaklow above Glossop - lots of beautiful hill walking and views and even some short sections of scrambling but not really anything that feels like a true 'mountain peak'.

To the North, Pendle Hill, North of Burnley.

(There are no mountains South of Manchester...... )
Post edited at 21:21
 Bulls Crack 11 Mar 2015

The Lake District is easily doable in a day from Manchester...take your pick
 Derry 11 Mar 2015
In reply to alan moore:

> Without pretence; Hen Cloud and Shuttlingslow are among the finest mountains in Britain. If not the world.😊

both at around 500m asl, this almost literally is making a mountain out of a molehill.
 Tom Valentine 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Derry:

Be that as it may, Shutlingslow looks more like a mountain than anything in the Cairngorms.
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> (There are no mountains South of Manchester...... )

You sir are obviously oblivious to mighty Raw Head in Peckforton Massif which is south of Manchester. I hear its north face scared off Reinhold Messner himself.

Kinder is grand and worth a day out and more.

Lusk 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I drove up and down the A34 for about 10 years or so looking at that hill, saying I must get up there.
Finally did, good little hill!
Lusk 11 Mar 2015
In reply to Pepper:

The west face of Mow Cop is pretty mean
Climbyclaudie 11 Mar 2015

Thankyou everyone...I shall forward these replies to my friend right away...she is very climby but does not want to go up dangerous stuff alone and I have decided I cannot go this weekend so this info may help her

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...