UKC

Getting Back to Fitness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 12 Mar 2015
An odd question maybe but I'm seeking the wisdom(?) of any UKC sages. Having been laid up last year with chemo etc, I'm trying to get myself back to fitness. Ideally I would like to think about doing the TMB in September but I've no way of knowing yet whether I'd be up to it.

Just wondering if there would be any merit in going out on the hills later in the summer with a professional guide or somebody who might be able to form some sort of assessment. OK I know at the end of the day it's up to me and people say "listen to your body" but sometimes it's nice to have a "second opinion"

Grateful for any advice.
 MaxR 12 Mar 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Do you have a friend that has done it, if so could you save yourself some money and get their opinion? Would you do it independently or with a company? A lot easier if someone is ferrying your kit stop to stop.

If by the summer you can manage a long day in the UK hills (9-10hrs) with about 1500-2000m of ascent / descent you should be good for it. The paths are all excellent and clearly marked with the red and white blazes. I did it with my dad when I was 16 and loved it. Sounds like a great goal to come back from what must have been a crappy year. Good luck with it
OP mypyrex 12 Mar 2015
In reply to MaxR:

> Do you have a friend that has done it...Would you do it independently or with a company? A lot easier if someone is ferrying your kit stop to stop.

Planning to go independent

> Sounds like a great goal to come back from what must have been a crappy year. Good luck with it

Thanks for the nice comment

Murderous_Crow 12 Mar 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Hi,

I'd recommend you do your training with a heart rate monitor. HR is a good estimator of physiological stress (it's why the pulse rate is such an important monitoring tool in healthcare). Sticking within defined HR training zones is an excellent way to get fit without overdoing it.

You can also make a useful fitness log by recording distance, time, Av. HR and Peak HR. Over time you can compare to see your fitness progress.

Luke
 blurty 12 Mar 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Could you get some advice from a physio/ occupational therapist? Could your consultant help with suggestions?
m0unt41n 13 Mar 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

The issue is more about being able to cope with day after day of walking with no or little respite rather than being able to do some mammoth day. Because little aches and pains accumulate. But you will know that since you have done treks before.

Its an excellent idea to have a target ahead of you and particularly something worthwhile like this.
Only you know what state your body is in now and what you can realistically achieve.
A professional guide can only do what Management Consultants are meant to do and put your words in their mouths.

You have enough experience to work out now whether it is realistic and you have the guts and ability to succeed so go for it, well done, good luck and keep us posted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...