UKC

A new one from the God botherers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 15 Mar 2015

Jehovas witness knocks at the door and starts the usual schpiel then after 10 seconds stops to ask me if I speak English, not had that one before! I imagine the number of people in my village that don't speak english is pretty low so perhaps it's a new avoidance technique people have been implementing to get them to go away and I need to start work on my foreign accent. Although despite the amount of foreign people around the globe who bother to learn our language perhaps the lovely lady just assumed anyone who isn't white must just have just dropped out of a plane from Asia and may not have mastered it yet, the joys of rural living. Perhaps it was just my vacant stare.
Post edited at 13:36
 Trangia 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Had the JWs round last week. They tried to give me their literature, but I declined to take it. Asked me why? I said I was an atheist.

"Ah!" The guy said "Does that mean you believe in evolution?" I said yes, and he replied " We think that's an insult to monkeys" !
 Timmd 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Trangia:

That's really weird.
OP Sharp 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Trangia:
How odd, I wonder what they meant by that!

I never used to have a problem with religious converters visiting and I remember my mother being quite friendly with the local callers despite being as far away from religion as you can be. The ignorance of some that I've encountered more recently surprising though. If you're going round trying to make people convert their entire way of life it would be nice to think that it's because you've studied and thought about religion yourself instead of because someone told you to do it and then go get some more people to do it as well.

One that came round last year didn't know what Agnostic meant, said he hadn't heard of that religion before! I said I was busy so we'd have to leave Russel for another day and he just looked confused. The cynic in me thinks they just send the hoards around looking for the lonely, bereaved or uneducated to manipulate into coughing up for the cause.
Post edited at 18:24
 Tom Valentine 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

As an atheist, I don't think it's clever to call people "God botherers" but I'm impressed by the fact that you capitalized His name.
OP Sharp 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:
It's quite a common turn of phrase around here, I didn't realise it would be taken offensively but then I didn't think it was considered clever either so I guess that shows how little I know.

You're easily impressed by my incorrect grammer, a habit picked up from my state funded supposedly non-religious education telling me I'd go to all kinds of hell if I did something so heathen as to not capitalise our lord and saviours name. There are many religions that go out recruiting so I believe it should have been lower case but then we all make mistakes.
Post edited at 21:04
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I think it's an inaccurate phrase - they aren't bothering God; they are bothering you and everyone they proselytise to - they are People botherers
 Tom Valentine 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

As I thought - you've been Got at
 Baron Weasel 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Just tell them you have been disfellowshiped and they have to leave you alone as part of their religion.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102008083
 LeeWood 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Its an opportunity to tell you that their literature has been translated into 50+ different languages. They really are quite clever - you know ...
 ByEek 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> "Ah!" The guy said "Does that mean you believe in evolution?" I said yes

I didn't think atheists believed in anything!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...