UKC

What is it with norvern monkeys?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 15 Mar 2015
Even though I'm from oop north, I notice that further oop northerners, consider themselves harder, and more northern than people who are from quite a short distance away, with the same northern ideology and background .
Does this happen in the south? Are you only a proper suvna if you're from the south coast?
 Steve John B 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

South coast of the Isle of Wight. Anyone north of Sandown is a Brummie as far as I'm concerned.
 Timmd 15 Mar 2015

Ideology?
 Bulls Crack 15 Mar 2015

Heard this at the Heineken free music Festival in 1994 when OASIS took the stage: "F*** off you southern pooftahs" Laconic voice from further back - 'They're form fookin' Manchester'..."Yes. I know"
 Tom Valentine 15 Mar 2015

You're right. I don't think the denizens of Richmond and Harrogate consider for a moment that they live in the same county as the good people of Thurnscoe and Denaby.
OP Dave the Rave 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Timmd:
> Ideology?

It's about people's beliefs and ideals relating to their social group?
Post edited at 19:48
 Andrew Wilson 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:
You are probably right but I think this contradicts the OP given that Richmond and Harrogate are "more northern" but undoubtedly less tough places to hail from.
Post edited at 21:01
 teflonpete 15 Mar 2015

A proper Suvna? You've got to be from London or the Thames estuary area to be a Suvna, or else you only sing when you're ploughing.
 Steve Perry 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

> You are probably right but I think this contradicts the OP given that Richmond and Harrogate are "more northern" but undoubtedly less tough places to hail from.

You've obviously never seen the OAPs fighting for a place in the queue outside Betty's Tea Rooms on a Sunday morning.
 Clarence 16 Mar 2015

There seems to be an emerging midlander identity based on being called northern by the southerners and southern by the northerners. It is a bit more inclusive than either, I have never heard anyone say "oi'm more midlend then yeow".
 summo 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Clarence:
> There seems to be an emerging midlander identity based on being called northern by the southerners and southern by the northerners.

is that anywhere north of the M25, south of an imaginary line between say Bridlington and Blackpool? It's marginal that even Manchester is northern in pure geographical terms. But, it's more of an identity than purely lines on a map.
Post edited at 09:09
 johnjohn 16 Mar 2015

Are Scousers truly from the North or something else tacked on? Anywhere east is just woolybacks. Are Geordies just east coast Scousers? Where doers that leave the Mackems, Sand Dancers, Smoggies and Monkey Hangers etc?

Anyway. my point: I think there's a west coast thing you can trace down that side of the country, Brum accents shading into deepest ooh aaarr, as the Archers cast demonstrate.

I'm not sure how this might apply to the east side, south of the Humber. For obvious reasons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...