UKC

Nexus 7, Lollipop, Memory Map...my brain hurts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 16 Mar 2015
Last year I purchased a Nexus 7 and installed Memory Map on it. Everything was fine until this week when I wanted to view some French maps on the tablet. Much of the map was blacked out.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I made enquiries with Memory Map and this is their latest response:

"Our developers have made us aware that due to some of the changes in Android 5 (Lollipop) that the Memory-Map app may be unstable when trying to access very old maps.
We believe that Android 5 (Lollipop) doesn't like the format that we used to save our maps in (a single .qct file) which is why the app either crashes when attempting to open it or displays black tiles instead of mapping. All our current map products (from 2012 onwards) are now in a .qct and .qc3 format which it doesn't appear to have any problems with.

Therefore you currently have the following options:
1. Purchase mapping that uses the newer .qct and .qc3 format (Click here for the current IGN products).
2. Delete the maps that use the single .qct format from the device so the app doesn't try to access them. "

As far as option 1 is concerned I certainly don’t see why I should have to pay out £150 to rectify a problem that is not of my making

What the hell is Lollipop any way?

Has anyone else come across this?
 goose299 16 Mar 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

Lollipop is an Operating Systen
 The Lemming 16 Mar 2015

I'm having a similar problem using a bit of kit for my camera and my phone/tablet. I can't get Triggertrap to work with lollypop. ;-(

Such is the advance of technology.
OP FesteringSore 16 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

Yes, I realise that now but it's presumably new and was presumably foisted upon me in an update a month or so ago. It has f*cked the way I want my Nexus 7 to operate so I'm looking for solutions.
In reply to The Lemming:

> I'm having a similar problem using a bit of kit for my camera and my phone/tablet. I can't get Triggertrap to work with lollypop. ;-(

> Such is the advance of technology.

Yes, it pisses me off when these people bring in these "improvements" and they f*ck things up that were working perfectly well before
 Mike Stretford 16 Mar 2015
In reply to FesteringSore: Lollipop really messed up my 2012 Nexus 7. I went back to Android 4.4.4 following these instructions

http://www.cultofandroid.com/65592/downgrade-android-kitkat-android-l-nexus...

it is now fine again.

The downgrade requires some IT literacy, but it really is worth doing, or finding someone who can do it for you.

FWIW I've just had an email from Memory Map saying that there is a Classic Map Compatability Licence"(£15) which I think they seem to be saying will resolve the issue.
 The Lemming 16 Mar 2015

> FWIW I've just had an email from Memory Map saying that there is a Classic Map Compatability Licence"(£15) which I think they seem to be saying will resolve the issue.

So, reading between the lines, its not an Android operating system issue but a software issue where Memory Maps hopes to cash in on?
In reply to The Lemming:

> So, reading between the lines, its not an Android operating system issue but a software issue where Memory Maps hopes to cash in on?

No, I've just had an email from M-M who have pointed out that I already have that licence on my account.

I think I'll go down the road of reverting to the earlier OS on the tablet.
 The Lemming 16 Mar 2015

> I think I'll go down the road of reverting to the earlier OS on the tablet.

Danger, Will Robinson. Danger!
In reply to The Lemming:

> Danger, Will Robinson. Danger!

Meaning?
 The Lemming 16 Mar 2015

> Meaning?

Mess about replacing an android operating system at your peril.. Research, research, research and expect tears.
In reply to The Lemming:

> Mess about replacing an android operating system at your peril.. Research, research, research and expect tears.

I'll get a pro to do it
 Mike Stretford 16 Mar 2015

> I think I'll go down the road of reverting to the earlier OS on the tablet.

Better instructions

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

If you find a reasonable IT guy it should take them less than 1hour. I followed the instructions to the letter and it worked fine.
 Only a hill 16 Mar 2015

I have long believed that mobile devices are best NOT updated to the latest version of the operating system. New OS upgrades rarely bring any significant advantages, and usually introduce a raft of bugs (not to mention a general slowdown on the entire system).
 The Lemming 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Following the major hiccups that Lollipop brought to the table, the most recent version of Lollipop is a major improvement on Kit-Kat, which itself was a major improvement on previous versions of Android. Vanilla versions, that is and not branded cannibalised variants from the likes of Samsung or ASUS.

MemoryMap have 'form' for this sort of issue. As far as I'm concerned, having bought mapping, you should be able to continue to use it on any future 'upgrades' of the software, or be able to revert the software, or have the vendor replace your existing mapping with new, compatible mapping, FOC.

I'd be surprised if any of the QuickChart file formats are supported BT Android, and thus all interpretation of it is embedded in the MemoryMap software, and thus support for the older file formats must have been removed from MemoryMap. And that would be MemoryMap's fault...
 Gazlynn 16 Mar 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

I too was told a couple of years ago that if I wanted to use the Memory map Android app I had to purchase my maps again. I downloaded a different app called MM tracker not sure if it works with lollipop though.

Cheers

Gaz
OP FesteringSore 17 Mar 2015
I have been pressing Memory Map on this matter and have just had their latest "hand washing" comment:

"Moving forward your options are:

1.) Roll back your Android operating system to 4.4 or earlier as previously stated
2.) Purchase the relevant Memory-Map product which states that it is compatible with the Android operating system again as previously stated. Doing this would not only give you Android 5 compatibility but also the latest available IGN map data."

Seems my best option is to get my tablet returned to OS 4.4.

As an aside why do these developers use such ridiculous names for their operating systems like Ice Cream Sandwich; Cupcake, Lollipop - bloody stupid.

Also, how can I ensure that, having reverted to the earlier OS that my tablet does not automatically upgrade again?
OP FesteringSore 18 Mar 2015

> As an aside why do these developers use such ridiculous names for their operating systems like Ice Cream Sandwich; Cupcake, Lollipop - bloody stupid.

> Also, how can I ensure that, having reverted to the earlier OS that my tablet does not automatically upgrade again?

Bump
 Mike Stretford 18 Mar 2015

It won't automatically upgrade, you just have to ignore the notification. To stop the notification go to settings, apps, Google framework services and untick 'show notifications'.
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> It won't automatically upgrade, you just have to ignore the notification. To stop the notification go to settings, apps, Google framework services and untick 'show notifications'.

Thanks for that.
 The Lemming 18 Mar 2015

> I have been pressing Memory Map on this matter and have just had their latest "hand washing" comment:

> "Moving forward your options are:

> 1.) Roll back your Android operating system to 4.4 or earlier as previously stated

Hmm. Personally I would not roll back any Android operating system unless I absolutely had to and there were no options but to do this. I have messed with changing Android operating systems and have had my fingers burnt quite badly by ending up with very expensive bricks. However I always found ways to survive and gen an operating system on my kit. If you are determined to roll back your operating system then I suggest that you check out the CynogenMod website for help and advice.

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

I used this site when an ASUS update made one of my bits of kit virtually useless. I used the site to get a working operating system and I won't be playing with any further updates for that bit of kit, till the day it dies.

> 2.) Purchase the relevant Memory-Map product which states that it is compatible with the Android operating system again as previously stated. Doing this would not only give you Android 5 compatibility but also the latest available IGN map data."

I have fallen out of love with Memory Maps because they seem to want to try and wring every last drop of blood from your bank account when ever they can. I also suspect that Ordinance Survey is also the villen in this licensing scam. Ordinance Survey, who the British Public has financed from Day One places huge restrictions on the use of OS maps both digitally and alalogue, for want of a better word.

> Seems my best option is to get my tablet returned to OS 4.4.

Android Kit-Kat is great however I really do like the features of Lollipop, especially in the simplicity of being able to stream what ever is on my phone/tablet onto my telly. This may seem like a small thing but it makes sharing photos more of a social occasion with people sat around the telly rather than huddled around a 4 inch screen.

Google is also trying develop an Operating System that looks the same on all kit that uses it and trying to move away from a fragmented look and feel with all the various bits of kit in the world using it. Android, after all is the most used operating system 'In the world'.

> As an aside why do these developers use such ridiculous names for their operating systems like Ice Cream Sandwich; Cupcake, Lollipop - bloody stupid.

As for the funny names, you can blame Google and they develop the operating system and give it away free to the world. Each new operating system goes up a letter. At the moment the most current version is on 'L'. Google then chooses a sweet or cakey thing to describe the name. The next OS will begin with the letter 'M' and will have some sweety flavour name to it.

> Also, how can I ensure that, having reverted to the earlier OS that my tablet does not automatically upgrade again?

In reply to The Lemming:

> Android Kit-Kat is great however I really do like the features of Lollipop, especially in the simplicity of being able to stream what ever is on my phone/tablet onto my telly. This may seem like a small thing but it makes sharing photos more of a social occasion with people sat around the telly rather than huddled around a 4 inch screen.

You could do this with Kit-Kat.
 The Lemming 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> You could do this with Kit-Kat.

True. But you had to hunt around for little useful apps to achieve this. Lollipop just made it a bit more idiot friendly.
In reply to The Lemming:
> Hmm. Personally I would not roll back any Android operating system unless I absolutely had to and there were no options but to do this. I have messed with changing Android operating systems and have had my fingers burnt quite badly by ending up with very expensive bricks. However I always found ways to survive and gen an operating system on my kit. If you are determined to roll back your operating system then I suggest that you check out the CynogenMod website for help and advice.

Cyanogenmod are great but completely unnecessary and likely to confuse on this occasion. Google have made the factory ROMS freely available along with instructions which will work if you follow them correctly.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
Post edited at 15:15
In reply to The Lemming:

> True. But you had to hunt around for little useful apps to achieve this. Lollipop just made it a bit more idiot friendly.

You just went to display and hit cast screen, Lollipop have just put a shortcut in. Lollipop has actually disabled this feature on some models.
 nutme 18 Mar 2015
Trash lollypop and roll back to Android 4. At the moment much more stable and usable.
In reply to The Lemming:

> Hmm. Personally I would not roll back any Android operating system unless I absolutely had to and there were no options but to do this. I have messed with changing Android operating systems and have had my fingers burnt quite badly by ending up with very expensive bricks. However I always found ways to survive and gen an operating system on my kit. If you are determined to roll back your operating system then I suggest that you check out the CynogenMod website for help and advice.

As I mentioned before I'll be getting a pro to do it.
 The Lemming 18 Mar 2015

Where is your sense of excitement and adventure?

In reply to The Lemming:

Must admit I'm getting a bit pissed off with Memory Map. All they seem to say is "Not our problem guv".

As far as I can see they are the only set up who produce the digitalised IGN map - specifically for the Pyrenees.

Interestingly I have their two IGN maps of the Pyrenees on my tablet - Pyrenees North and Pyrenees South. The North map opens ok but the south map is largely blacked out. If, as MM are saying, the Nexus 7 OS and the MM files are not compatible I would not have expected either map to open.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...