UKC

Spring migrants 2015

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tim Sparrow 16 Mar 2015

So, to start this one early ... chiffchaff heard and seen at Llangorse lake (Powys) while pike fishing on my kayak, Saturday 14th March. Couldn't quite believe what I was hearing as was still very much winter - snow on the Beacons, a bracing easterly wind and hands and feet gone completely numb.
Anyone spotted anything similar yet? Spring is coming .....
Post edited at 20:46
 Alyson 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

One of my colleagues heard a chiffchaff in Wroot, North Lincs, in Feb! He reckons it wintered here, I reckon he heard a great tit

Actually he knows his stuff so I must concede defeat in the Chiffchaff Challenge 2015. Nothing to report yet in Sheffield.
interdit 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

90+ Red kites passed overhead in the space of 30 minutes last week. They were using a break in the weather to pass over the Pyrenees, Heading NE.

Many Black Redstarts arrived last week and are vigorously fighting as they claim territories.

All the Cranes have left now (about 2 weeks ago).

Masses of Song thrushes arrived 3 weeks ago and more are still arriving.
In reply to Tim Sparrow:
Singing Chiffchaff, Sand martin, Swallow and Wheatear all been seen in N Wales over the last week.

Ospreys expected back in next few days.
Post edited at 08:17
OP Tim Sparrow 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:
Glaslyn Osprey back I hear ( female). On the Dyfi it is usually the male back first.
Post edited at 22:18
Moley 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

Send them over my way Tim, not seen anything here.
Did you catch anything?
Removed User 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

Geese are moving in here (over Saskatchewan). A little earlier than usual but we've had a good spring. That said, supposed to snow here this weekend.
 Philip 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed User:

All very exciting. I can only record a black cap (male) and although I haven't seen one all winter that doesn't rule it out of being a rare resident.
 Phil1919 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

A swallow? Whats he going to eat I wonder? I thought thery needed insects.
 coinneach 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

Peewit, Oystercatcher and Whaup all now back in the North Pennines for summer.

I've spotted Golden Plover too ( not sure if they winter up here they may just be more active now)

My freed pair of Buzzards are also still around.
 The Potato 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

lots of geese on alwen reservoir today, brown with an orange bill whatever they are
 Alyson 21 Mar 2015
In reply to coinneach:

> Peewit, Oystercatcher and Whaup all now back in the North Pennines for summer.

Whaup? Is that a curlew? (I'm just guessing from the location) I've not heard that name before, though peewit for lapwing I have.

> I've spotted Golden Plover too ( not sure if they winter up here they may just be more active now)

Here in the South Pennines I see wintering golden plover on wetland sites like Old Moor RSPB reserve. Then in spring they gather in a huge, spectacular flock on upland farmland adjacent to the moors and do a lot of flying together which seems quite ritualised and purposeful. After that the flock disperses and by summer I never see any! Once they are breeding they become secretive or possibly invisible

coinneach 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Aye a Whaup is the scottish name for a curlew.
 Tom Valentine 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Never climbed at Eastby?
 Alyson 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Is that where the golden plover hang out in the summer? No, I've never climbed there - sounds like I should!
Removed User 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Philip:

Snowing like f**k here which is a bit of a blow given the last few good weeks but I'm sure the eraly migrants will be alright. We have a few Crows and Magpies which over-winter here which always amazes me. How does a bird survive -40 conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...