UKC

Fitting camp ice trek crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LJJ77 19 Mar 2015
I have just bought a pair of ice trek crampons they are surplus mod i have been trying to attach them to my scarpa mantas i have put them on something like the pictures i have seen on the net but it seems that the boots might be too big for the straps i just cant get a tight secure fit any help would be appreciated
 stuart58 19 Mar 2015
In reply to LJJ77:

If ghe straps are too short try needle sport they sell long new ones
 Mal Grey 19 Mar 2015
In reply to LJJ77:

Not sure which strapping system you have but the starting point should be getting the crampon to fit the sole of the boot WITHOUT worrying about the straps yet. You need to adjust the crampon's length so that the upright "posts" fit snuggly against the sides of the sole at toe and heel, and the side posts may also need adjusting. Once this is correct, it will be a little awkward to press them on to the boots, but easy enough if you're wearing the boot and step onto the crampon using your weight. If you shake the boots, the crampons shouldn't fall off.

Only then do you need to worry about the straps. There's another thread here which links to some photos which should help with how the straps should look: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=532530. As said, you should be able to get hold of longer ones if necessary.

OP LJJ77 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

I think they need adjustment but they didn't come with a spanner i think i need a 7mm one i have ordered one as the central bar slips back and the one at the side is well away from the side if the boot i have noticed holes near the heel spikes was wondering if there was a bail or if i could fashion one out of a coat hanger also they are leather two strap fastening thanks for the help guys i will see how i get on once the spanner arrives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...