UKC

Best way to thank RAF for rescuing me?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Beardyman 19 Mar 2015
Hey folks, I had a nasty fall while out bouldering at Bowden last week. Somehow managed to roll my ankle outwards breaking 3 bones in the process. I had to reset my ankle quickly before it became too swollen which is something I hope never to have to do again!

I called 999 and RAF Boulmer were scrambled, after about 50 mins the lovely sight of a big yellow Sea King came into view. I cannot praise the guys highly enough. They were beyond amazing and even had me laughing despite the pain. They even put all my mats and gear in the chopper and got me off to hospital.

I would love to show my appreciation somehow. Anyone got any ideas how I can do this? I was gonna get someone to deliver a huge box of Krispy Kreme donuts to them but thought due to security reasons this might not work!

A cash donation is also out as I now have no income (the joys of being self employed!)
Removed User 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

You know Doug Scott crawled down the Ogre with two broken legs?
 nniff 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

a donation to the value of a large box of Krispy kreme donuts to SSAFA?
 neilh 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Beardyman:
Do what I did a few years ago. Mate of mine had a really bad fall- head injury- and the helicopter crew saved his life by getting him to Bangor.By the time I got to Bangor it was a couple of hours later.After sorting out my mate , I went and found the helicopter crew and personally thanked them. (they were waiting to fly him onto a neurological unit at Liverpool).

The pilot said I was the first person who had ever done that ( in a way I was not surprised) to him and his crew.

So go and thank them face to face.They will appreciate it.
Post edited at 15:18
 summo 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

Speak to the SAR Flt itself, a slab of beer, or perhaps they have an on-going charitable cause you can donate to. Write to the local paper etc.. although as the MOD has sold them down the river positive PR is of less value now. They won't expect you to spend money you haven't got though, even if you just express your thanks verbally and you donate once you are up and working again.
 planetmarshall 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> You know Doug Scott crawled down the Ogre with two broken legs?

I'm sure if Doug Scott could have called for a Sea King he would have done so, since it would be pure idiocy to risk permanent injury for the sake of machismo.
 jcw 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

Do something rather old fashioned. Write a letter of thanks and appreciation
housmanae 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

Vote for any party in the forthcoming election that's going to increase defence expenditure instead of cutting.
 Trangia 19 Mar 2015
In reply to jcw:

> Do something rather old fashioned. Write a letter of thanks and appreciation

Plus 1 and next time you see a collection box for the RAF Benevolent fund pop a contibution into it (whatever you can afford).
 Sl@te Head 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

I was airlifted from the Irish Sea on a failed Sea Kayak Crossing to Ireland from Anglesey, over 10 years ago. I was allowed on to the base at RAF Valley to hand over a Thank You card and a good selection of Wine, did the same for the Coastguard and RNLI. It was great to say thank you face to face and it was appreciated as most don't bother. The female Pilot wasn't there that day but I did make a phone call and later bumped into her to thank her once again (by chance her husband was a flying instructor who I was having lessons with at the time). Years later I met the winch man again as his son was a pupil at our school, I thanked him again and he said that the wine had gone down well!
 JayPee630 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Don't buy chocolates. Wine/beer to the crew at their base and/or a letter and personal visit. Letter to commanding officer would also be nice and let their bosses know their doing a good job above and beyond what they 'have' to do.
 nutme 20 Mar 2015
I would vote for face to face thank you as well.

During my military carrier I didn't had a chance to save anyone's ankle, but in general personal thank you and few days off were always the best rewards.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...