UKC

opinions of the psychological impact climbing has on kids 8-16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
George-Brown-outdoor 19 Mar 2015
A big warm hello to the world of climbers! I am completing a research project at college and i have chosen to do mine of the psychological impact that climbing has on kids aged 8-16. I hope that the results will help convince schools to introduce climbing to the Personal Exercise classes.

if you could please follow out the survey accessible by the link below i would be very great full!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/J56QZ5M
 tlm 19 Mar 2015
In reply to George-Brown-outdoor:

Questions 8 and 9 are hard to answer with only the options of yes and no.

8. Do you believe climbing should be a part of a child's Personal Exercise classes in school due to the psychological impact it has on the child?

Well - no, not for all children, but yes for some children, depending on their own attitude towards it.

9. Do you believe that it is the ability of the climbing instructor that determines wether the psychological impact on a child is positive or negative?

Well - in part, but it will also depend on many other factors, such as the personality of the child, who else is there, the weather, if they are tired, if there was cake etc.

10. Do you believe that more research should be done on the psychological impact of climbing on children?

It depends on who is paying for it and what the research is, how it will be used, and what questions are being answered...

Completed, but concur with tlm's observations
 nightclimber 19 Mar 2015

again, I've tried to complete it, but the questions and answers are too vague to be able to be answered consistently - there's no apparent scoring system, and no scope to comment on key questions in order to explain answers
 marsbar 20 Mar 2015

I am sorry if this sounds mean, its meant helpfully.

You should ask someone to proof read your work for spelling and capital letters before you put it online.
You should avoid leading questions.
If you want data about the impact of climbing on children it would be better to avoid second hand opinion of adults on the internet and find some children to ask. I suggest finding a wall that does birthday parties and kids sessions and see if you can ask children with their parents in person. Obviously ask permission from the wall first and the parents.
By asking on here you are introducing bias because we like climbing. This makes your data unreliable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/statistics/questionnairesre...

Rampikino 20 Mar 2015

Vague, leading and with the assumption that we are qualified enough to determine the psychological impact of our activity. But also, in comparison to what?

Test and control? Non-existent.

Sorry, I wish you well but this is dross.

I like to try and help people on here with surveys but this one was...err...challenging....

You haven't defined psychological well-being. That means a thousand different things to a thousand different people. Without defining your terms you cannot quantify the prevalence of people's views as you don't know what the individual means, let alone draw anything from them.

As for the construction/grammar/proofreading, it has been covered by other above.

Trangia 20 Mar 2015

Done, but I concur with the remarks made by others - vague and asks leading questions. Also the comments about proof reading your survey before posting it - it's not very professional.

I also don't believe your survey is objective because you "hope the results will help convince schools to introduce climbing to the Personal Exercise classes" You have an agenda and are not being impartial.

PE is physical education not personal exercise.

Done.

I liked the " I have no opinion" button. Could this be a future feature of UKC?
 Howardw1968 20 Mar 2015

Nick - It states personal exercise in the survey although I agree with you it is wrong.

George,
I gave up trying to answer the questions as the survey is so poor.

For instance Q7 When a chill's participation -
answer - I dont like climbing in the cold and neither does my daughter

There is no way in q5 to differentiate a climber who has been climbing since age 3.5 and with the positive traits to one who has only climber for 6 months or taking into account other factors such as using the attachment parenting method of bringing up the child.

If I was trying to sell climbing to schools I wouldn't be selling it based on psychology more that it is good physical exercise with some 3d problem solving thrown in for good measure.

I certainly wouldn't mention broken arms and other injury which can happen and have a negative outcome.

You also have an age range covering key stage 2 taught in primary schools and key stages 3 and 4 taught in secondary or grammar schools perhaps you would be better targeting one age range or the other and given the recent women in sport report on girls participation reducing by key stage 4 perhaps targeting the older part of the age range would be better.

I'd suggest you revisit the survey and discuss it with your tutor.

H
George-Brown-outdoor 22 Mar 2015
In reply to tlm:

you are totally correct il get on that and change them to a box! the further research question is just to see how many people would be interested in finding out more information in this sector an action plan of how that research would go ahead would be created if it was seen to be beneficial. il add your comments to the research data!
thanks so much for taking the time to have a look!
 Billhook 22 Mar 2015

Q1. I don't know the point in asking age as the categories cover huge amounts of age groups. The majority of respondents are going to be in the 30 - 69 bracket are they not?

Q3 Asking this of UKC members is going to surely get a biased 'yes' won't it?

Q5 isn't clear. Do you mean the psychological impact they had whilst they were climbing? Or the psychological impact which occurred as a result of climbing?

Q6 or indeed Q7 could have utilised the tick box categories in Q5

Q8. Lots and lots of research has gone into the psychological effects of climbing on young people.

Q9. Yes, like others I think everyone should take part in it even if the psychological impact was zero or negative. Is that what you want?

Q10. If it is the instructor which determines whether (I assume thats what you mean by 'wether' ) the psychological impact on a child is positive or negative, what is going to be the outcome or conclusion of your research? That good 'instructors' should be brought in but allowed to carry out any activity with young people?
 Billhook 22 Mar 2015

How are you going to convince a primary school for instance to fund climbing sessions?
 shaymarriott 23 Mar 2015

I did the survey, but I think you need to scrap it and start again - leading questions, difficult to make sense of and fairly ambiguous in terms of wording.

What is psychological impact? Deep seated trauma associated with colourful pieces of resin? Or a vague dislike of heights? Perhaps a great love for climbing (we all know this is the right answer) - your terminology is pretty vague, and its hard to make sense of what you're actually aiming for here.

A solid introduction might go some way to help, but personally I'd go back to your tutor and ask them to help you write a better questionnaire.
George-Brown-outdoor 23 Mar 2015

Hello to all again! I very much appreciate the feedback you have all given me! this is my first time doing this sort of thing so it is much appreciated! i have redone the survey going on the feedback that you have all given hopefully this time you will all find it better and easier to state your opinions!

Thank you all again!

the link is below!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S6TC8QB
 marsbar 24 Mar 2015

Done.

henwardian 24 Mar 2015
Done.

Well put together survey (or it was when I got to it, judging by the thread, it has some editing done!).
Only gripe I think your college would have with it is that it isn't very impartial. A lot of the wording encourages the reader to agree that climbing has a beneficial psychological effect on children. Still, that is something you can correct for after the fact. Or include in your evaluation.

Edit: Ok, I did the one you linked in the first post.
You really need to change that first post if you have a new survey you want people to answer because people clicking on the thread are going to click the link, do the survey and then read the thread... So they will most likely find your updated survey only after completing the old one.
Post edited at 23:22
 Timmd 24 Mar 2015
In reply to henwardian:

Like I just did.
 Simon4 25 Mar 2015

Psychological impact on children, based on a representative sample of 2 :

1. They love it
2. It makes them shriek a lot
3. They cannot be bothered with coloured lines at a climbing wall, most they love climbing 10 feet up on auto-belays and jumping off
4. It causes them to nag their uncle to take them more often
5. It makes them nag their mother, who is not so sure about the idea, to be allowed to go every week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...